MOSFET Temperature Vs. Quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to aks Mr. Pass and anybody else who knows anything on this subject.

Does the temperature of the Mosfets in preamplifiers and amplifiers have anything to do with the music reproduction quality?
Should the Mosfet be hot or cold?

I think I have heard that mosfets "sound" better when warmed up to 50-60 °C. I came up with this question because a friend of mine had a very good and practicle idea. We were thinking of making a new chassis design and mounting the mosfets on the bottom of an all aluminium box. Using in this way the whole chassis as a heatsink. Some people are actually afraid of the MOSFETs getting so hot and concerned of what could happen when they forget the preamp powered on for days. In the balanced line stage with the small heatsinks they get very hot when the circuit is using +/- 60 Volt rails.

I didn´t have such problem of overheating after several hours. The temperature stays constant.

From what I understood is that NP optimises his circuits so the mosfets work around 50 °C.

It´s not at all hard to keep the temperature low. I could easily keep their temperatur under 30°C in the balanced line stage.
They run at 1.2 Watts. With a 1K/W heatsink or less you keep the temperature only1-2 °C above ambient that means around 25°C.
With a normal 5K/W small power heatsink that would be 30°C.

My idea was to mount the mosfets on the chassis bottom or side. The whole aluminium box is a very big heatsink for the BLS.
But the question is, is that good for quality?
I think no.
That means it is a good idea to downsize the heatsink.
Or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.