Amplifiers with series output resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks fpitas. The gainclone is approx 50 watts and i would like to try values from the, apparently famous, value of 1.5ohms to 47ohms to try to shelve the rising response of my fe108es. Am i better off putting two resistors in series to arrive at the value?

It won't hurt to put two in series, but I can't think of any advantage, except allowing you to tweak the total value a little easier. A 20W 5% tolerance wirewound should easily do what you need, those are only a few bucks each. You can save money and use lower wattage resistors for the extreme values, as those won't have to dissipate as much. You'd have to calculate the power needed for those on a case-by-case basis.

It won't hurt to put two in series, but I can't think of any advantage, except allowing you to tweak the total value a little easier. A 20W 5% tolerance wirewound should easily do what you need, those are only a few bucks each. You can save money and use lower wattage resistors for the extreme values, as those won't have to dissipate as much. You'd have to calculate the power needed for those on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got around to sticking a 10 ohm resistor mundorf in series with my Audio Nivana 15 inch full range open baffle that is assisted between 10-20 KHz with a Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter.

The sound without/with resistor is night and day. With the resistor, the sound, suddenly became very wide. Without it the sound seems to eminate from in between the two speakers, with it, I no longer have walls at the side... The distinction between the many sources of sound, instruments and vocals becomes more clear. The dynamics is increased, without the resistor the sound feels compressed. The improvement is amazing.

The amp is a class D (class T) Virtue One audio.

Oon

Last edited:
Would it be a bad idea to use resistive wire itself instead of the wire wound resistor ? Of course it probably wouldn't be copper anymore I guess unless it is single strand and pretty long ( very thin guage ).

Like 36 AWG copper wire would be about 3.5 meters long. Resistance of both forward and return wire taken into consideration. Wattage would be low as it appears it can handle only 4 amps before blowing. Aluinum wire might be thicker and handle more current . But would it sound 'aluminy' ?:D

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got around to sticking a 10 ohm resistor mundorf in series with my Audio Nivana 15 inch full range open baffle that is assisted between 10-20 KHz with a Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter.

The sound without/with resistor is night and day. With the resistor, the sound, suddenly became very wide. Without it the sound seems to eminate from in between the two speakers, with it, I no longer have walls at the side... The distinction between the many sources of sound, instruments and vocals becomes more clear. The dynamics is increased, without the resistor the sound feels compressed. The improvement is amazing.

The amp is a class D (class T) Virtue One audio.

Oon

When you do this with a class D amp (Hypex exception), you will see a rise towards the end of the FR. The reason is that the output filter is calculated for a specific Rload, usually between 4-8 Ohm. Increasing the R of the load leads to an increase of high frequencies.

What you most likely hear in your experiment is this rise in the FR which you could also achieve by using a tone control.

Don't forget papa Ohm!

Dear people, you forget the elementry Ohm's Law.
High output impedance modifies loudspeaker's frequency output compared to small resistance output, because the effect of voltage devide is much more pronounced. This kind of experiments have been done 40 years ago, when the sound transistor amps compared to the sound of tubes was a hot topic.
So try to understand, what exactly are you talking about. 47 ohm resistor in the output is one thing, 10 ohms a very different story!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.