Amplifiers with series output resistors. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2013, 02:09 PM   #21
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstairs View Post
Thanks fpitas. The gainclone is approx 50 watts and i would like to try values from the, apparently famous, value of 1.5ohms to 47ohms to try to shelve the rising response of my fe108es. Am i better off putting two resistors in series to arrive at the value?
It won't hurt to put two in series, but I can't think of any advantage, except allowing you to tweak the total value a little easier. A 20W 5% tolerance wirewound should easily do what you need, those are only a few bucks each. You can save money and use lower wattage resistors for the extreme values, as those won't have to dissipate as much. You'd have to calculate the power needed for those on a case-by-case basis.
Old 4th November 2013, 05:41 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
It won't hurt to put two in series, but I can't think of any advantage, except allowing you to tweak the total value a little easier. A 20W 5% tolerance wirewound should easily do what you need, those are only a few bucks each. You can save money and use lower wattage resistors for the extreme values, as those won't have to dissipate as much. You'd have to calculate the power needed for those on a case-by-case basis.
Thanks!
Old 14th November 2013, 03:22 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got around to sticking a 10 ohm resistor mundorf in series with my Audio Nivana 15 inch full range open baffle that is assisted between 10-20 KHz with a Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter.

The sound without/with resistor is night and day. With the resistor, the sound, suddenly became very wide. Without it the sound seems to eminate from in between the two speakers, with it, I no longer have walls at the side... The distinction between the many sources of sound, instruments and vocals becomes more clear. The dynamics is increased, without the resistor the sound feels compressed. The improvement is amazing.

The amp is a class D (class T) Virtue One audio.

Oon

Last edited by oon_the_kid; 14th November 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Old 15th November 2013, 12:37 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Would it be a bad idea to use resistive wire itself instead of the wire wound resistor ? Of course it probably wouldn't be copper anymore I guess unless it is single strand and pretty long ( very thin guage ).

Like 36 AWG copper wire would be about 3.5 meters long. Resistance of both forward and return wire taken into consideration. Wattage would be low as it appears it can handle only 4 amps before blowing. Aluinum wire might be thicker and handle more current . But would it sound 'aluminy' ?

Last edited by ashok; 15th November 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 15th November 2013, 07:43 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

is ligth ! some new speakers coils is in Alluminio

costantine wire is used for DIY resistor
Old 18th November 2013, 12:15 PM   #27
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi!
Is this R0 resistor not decreases the driver sensitivity and changges the driver's Qts???
Old 18th November 2013, 01:15 PM   #28
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyimo View Post
Hi!
Is this R0 resistor not decreases the driver sensitivity and changges the driver's Qts???
Yes to both; decreases the sensitivity, since some power is dissipated in the resistor, and raises the total Q.
Old 18th November 2013, 02:06 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got around to sticking a 10 ohm resistor mundorf in series with my Audio Nivana 15 inch full range open baffle that is assisted between 10-20 KHz with a Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter.

The sound without/with resistor is night and day. With the resistor, the sound, suddenly became very wide. Without it the sound seems to eminate from in between the two speakers, with it, I no longer have walls at the side... The distinction between the many sources of sound, instruments and vocals becomes more clear. The dynamics is increased, without the resistor the sound feels compressed. The improvement is amazing.

The amp is a class D (class T) Virtue One audio.

Oon
When you do this with a class D amp (Hypex exception), you will see a rise towards the end of the FR. The reason is that the output filter is calculated for a specific Rload, usually between 4-8 Ohm. Increasing the R of the load leads to an increase of high frequencies.

What you most likely hear in your experiment is this rise in the FR which you could also achieve by using a tone control.
Old 18th November 2013, 05:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

not only.... you change the damping factor ie the controll on the bass .....

Hide this!Advertise here!