Ultrasimple SIT PP amp from BAF , or SIT Beast with a Thousand PSUs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What if the balanced source has already nasty output caps?

separate issue , isn't it ;

however , just to spoil part of Buzz's happiness :

:clown:

Attachments

• Sony CS Mr Pass amplifier rofl bridged.jpg
    Sony CS Mr Pass amplifier rofl bridged.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,162
A bit random, but.. ZM, I was always wondering if there is a point of having this kind of symmetrical-balanced amp if all your sources are not balanced?

Definitely best to run a balanced source.
Main benefit I see of running balanced circuit with single ended source is power supply is not modulated with signal while in Class A, and you are able to create 4 x the power at the output working with low voltage parts eg sk70/sj74 ie no need for cascode

Last edited:
Concept bias PSUs

As if 4 power supplies wasn't enough, you get closer and closer to the amp in the title :p

The schematic and pictures of the amp suggest the following for the biasing circuit:
  • PSUs ride atop and are referenced to the power rails; but not to ground.
  • May need to read and especially confirm the presence of the bias voltage on each SIT; which must be rock stable.
  • Expect different bias voltages for the 4 SITs. This may require up to 4 PSUs [stereo] ; but one may get away with only two; one for each 23 V power rails.
An approach to the bias PSUs are wall-mounted/energized AC/DC PSUs [~15 VDC output];switching ; like for ACA or linear. Overkill for the biasing power demand; but available and cheap. The intrinsic voltage of the PSU is stepped down with an adjustable voltage regualtor; e.g. LM317T and LM337T[ or Belleson's]. The voltage regulators may best sit close to each other on the same heat sink so as to get a stable no output DC offset. A digital voltmeter module is then used to monitor each bias voltages. Bias voltage to each SIT is best left on/energized all the time to protect them.

A detailed schematic of this concept bias psu will follow.

Concept Bias PSU

Please find attached. If SITs need differing Vgs then one will need one wall AC/DC PSU and two independent LM317Ts. Ditto for the negative 23V power rail; but with 2 LM337T instead.

Forthcoming is another concept bias PSU.

Attachments

• BiasPSU.jpg
    BiasPSU.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,109
Mr Nelson Pass on this photo explain signal path of this amplifier maybe?
Like fingers up together is two sit's
and thumb is transformer
it is Pa one hand schematic clap?
photos courtesy AR2
Have nice day:)

Attachments

• Mr Nelson Pass signal path with one hand.jpg
    Mr Nelson Pass signal path with one hand.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 879
  • Sony CS XFRMR.jpg
    Sony CS XFRMR.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 910
Well, the sleazy fake version of this amp will be not be anywhere near so simple (most certainly not 3 parts - not anything near that), but I'm going to try and limit the pot-tweaking for the power supply to one pot, and limit the supply to one decent center-tapped transformer. At present, I've gotten a simulation to DC balance. I'll look at distortion and actual implementation later, as I have other audio fish to fry (record reviews). Oh yes, and the real details will be in another thread entirely, so as not to dilute this one.

Nelson's done a fine job showing just how linear these babies can be even in a 'native' state.

That said, this looks Ike a placeholder of sorts like we get in many of his articles.

The output impedance in particular would be happy to get some attention - at 4 ohms (based on the talk), it seems to fall into a strange twilight zone between a voltage source amp and a current source amp. I'm staying tuned for the next episode of .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.