F5 Build: How much gain do I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Max output is specified as + & - 20V in my F5 manual. Gain of 15.3db.
If You are talking RMS Volts of 2, into your F5, then what Andrew says is about right. The + & - 20V maximum output spec is peak volts.
Actually I think the gain is only a factor of 5.5 ;)

Last edited:
You may need to consider using a preamp that can provide sufficient additional gain. With my F5 I found that I couldn't get the volume that I needed with 87 dB spreakers using a typical preamp (gain ~ 10). I ended up building another higher gain preamp (Aikido) and couldn't be happier with the combo.

PJN

The overall gain through the INPUT Filter and the amplifier will be a bit lower than the amp's basic gain.
The attenuation of the RF Input Filter will depend on the Rin (series) used in the RF filter.

That would account for lower reported overall gain values and would also account for different reported values.

The basic gain of the amp is 6times.
A 1k series resistor feeding into 100k for Rin, reduces the overall gain to 15.48dB, cf. basic gain = 15.56dB

Last edited:
My f5 w/91db 8ohm speakers, Cd player and passive pre had enough volume w/200ohm feedback resistors. Not enough volume for use w/my vinyl setup though.

Switched to a Jfet BOZ and 100 ohm feedback resistors. It was the right choice I think.

Even though the F5/200ohm resistor/passive setup had enough gain and volume it seemed to lack punch and dynamics. All was cured when I went to the 100ohm feedback resistors and a preamp. You gain weight and dynamics and lose a little mid-range purity and detail. But it's worth it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
a little preamp gain will probably make it sound 'harder'
you might hear that as being more dynamic
right or not, some multiway speaker may need that little exstra to sound 'more alive'

but in that case, maybe tone controls or some form of EQ would be even better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.