Best solder and wire for Pass diy amplifiers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mr 6L6 on the line:spin:
At first why search for quality solder wire if legs be with some grey oxide dirt?
It is not always the case but sometimes yes.
Dear 6L6 what your diy point of vue about audio signal wire , psu wire,shielding
electromagnetic fild and solder in your Pass diy amps realisations?
For newbie your friendly F4,F5,AlephJ build guides is a truth reference
i liked very much:cheers:Thanks

I've never had any problems just using plain 60/40 Jaycar solder (Australian electronics retailer OEM branded), even with reflowing 'vintage' solder tracks etc. it wets nicely and leaves a shiny joint. Sometimes I think people go overboard with this stuff. Maybe it's in the technique.

I do use a liquid flux from Cutter Electronics if repairing a track where the copper is oxidised.

Certainly you don't need expensive solder for new PCB's and clean wire and components.

Last edited:
Thanks Stuey
i see on Jaycar page this miracle product:wiz:

Wire Glue 9ml - Jaycar Electronics

its funny maybe for prototype point to point connection
with few components like in
marvelous Zen amplifiers.
Well i am sceptical because solidity in time for this technique.
Ok my reason say quality classic solder is the way to go.

Maybe some diyer change my mind?
All solder , wire references for Pass diy pcb's F4,F5,AlephJ is welcome
make this aspect not neglected have fun

Soundhappy, off topic; my 16 year old daughter has just left Australia for a school trip to near you - Draguignan. Lucky girl! It certainly looks like a beautiful part of the world!

Back to solder...I believe Andrew recommends 63/37 solder because it is better for preventing cold joints (where the solder looks dull and doesn't form a good joint). It quickly solidifies when cooling, but 60/40 solder can be affected more by movement of the component before the solder hardens because it stays soft for longer.

I think others recommend silver content to enhance conductivity. So if you want the best, I guess these other solders are better than plain 60/40. But I am quite happy with the more common alloy.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... 63/37 solder because it is better for preventing cold joints (where the solder looks dull and doesn't form a good joint).

if it has low melting point and you exceed this just one bit it will look exactly like you say it wont ...

I think others recommend silver content to enhance conductivity.

which is wrong

So if you want the best, I guess these other solders are better than plain 60/40.

no
the best solder is what makes you a good solderer

I'm only going by what I seem to remember others writing in support of their choices. I only posted again to prevent what you've just done; many on this forum just love to argue these things. Ah well.

What makes me a good solderer is that I'm highly skilled at it; it's not the solder.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Krzys,

Dear 6L6 what your diy point of vue about audio signal wire , psu wire,shielding
electromagnetic fild and solder in your Pass diy amps realisations?

What ZenMod said is perfect.

Copper wire is best.

I like stranded for PSU hookup for the flexibility.

Signal wiring, the thinner the better. Shield the wire, or not, at your pleasure.

As for solder, 63/37 sn/pb, rosin core, is fantastic. 2-4% silver is necessary only if you are using silver wire -- the silver in the solder keeps the silver in the wire from galvanic corrosion with the tin.

I have yet to use a lead-free solder that isn't horrible.

The transformers are too big in the amps to effectively shield. Sometimes induced hum can be reduced by rotating the transformer in it's mount a few degrees.

For a very quiet amp, mount transformer in a different box and place 1M away. :)

Krzys,

What ZenMod said is perfect.

Copper wire is best.

I like stranded for PSU hookup for the flexibility.

Signal wiring, the thinner the better. Shield the wire, or not, at your pleasure.

As for solder, 63/37 sn/pb, rosin core, is fantastic. 2-4% silver is necessary only if you are using silver wire -- the silver in the solder keeps the silver in the wire from galvanic corrosion with the tin.

I have yet to use a lead-free solder that isn't horrible.

The transformers are too big in the amps to effectively shield. Sometimes induced hum can be reduced by rotating the transformer in it's mount a few degrees.

For a very quiet amp, mount transformer in a different box and place 1M away. :)
Thanks 6L6
Step by step i see sun on the blue sky because all diyers brings practical solutions that is wonderful
It save me time if i have magnetic field it simple i must find ideal toroid position in box important information for keep memorise.
Separate psu in box be possible i try see what influence on my amp prototype.This is this other possibility
Shield cover for toroids from Antek good quality:D

http://www.antekinc.com/images/160.png

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like Sn62 solder, 2% silver. Ersin Multicore is my favorite brand, mostly because I think their flux works better than Kester's. Radio Shack solder has particularly crummy flux.

Just wondering, what's wrong with RS flux? I've used their Sn62 type solder for about 25 years without issue. Yes I still have the components and listen to them daily...

Russellc

This is a synthesis from received informations

*1*
wire in Pass diy amplifiers |
PSU= same diameter like from transformer
material |
copper stranded wire
isolated |
teflon,pvc
care|
toroid position make to avoid a magnetic field,
twist psu wires together tight
example |
Antek,Plitron transformer

**2**
Audio signal path |
very tight diameter
materials |
solid core copper,
silver plated cooper
(in this case some silver adds in solder)
isolated |
teflon,cotton,shielded be a nice option
care |
same lengh,menage neat
example |
screened wire from Belden UTP cable

***3***
Solder |
60/40 sn | pb
its for diyers with who care to don't move components in solder process
63/37 sn | pb| rosin core |
easy better for preventing cold joints
care | keep clean from oxides contacts before soldering...
it be solid in time and have better conductivity
example | brands Ersin,RS,Jaycar,Kester,Fluitin
high quality for industry standard

Diy amp in progress

Attachments

• ready to diy.jpg
    ready to diy.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 564
Just wondering, what's wrong with RS flux? I've used their Sn62 type solder for about 25 years without issue. Yes I still have the components and listen to them daily...

I just don't think the flux cleans very well, compared to Sn62 from either Kester or Multicore.

I'm not saying you can't make a reliable connection with it, but you'll notice a difference working with a better product.

Soundhappy, off topic; my 16 year old daughter has just left Australia for a school trip to near you - Draguignan. Lucky girl! It certainly looks like a beautiful part of the world!

right now in France is a nice temperature for make some trekking.Hope Your daughter can see nice vue in small villages and apreciate local food chees and bread " la baguette au levain".Many old churches,castles.Draguignan in south of France is a beauty destination.
Welcome in France!
Thanks a lot Stuey for friendly diy consulting
Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.