Best solder and wire for Pass diy amplifiers ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:28 AM   #21
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member
 
6L6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhappy View Post
Clean legs of resistors,caps,and transistors from little oxide before solder ?
That is not necessary, however it is very good technique.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:40 AM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
soundhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montpellier near Mediterranean Sea France
Mr 6L6 on the line
At first why search for quality solder wire if legs be with some grey oxide dirt?
It is not always the case but sometimes yes.
Dear 6L6 what your diy point of vue about audio signal wire , psu wire,shielding
electromagnetic fild and solder in your Pass diy amps realisations?
For newbie your friendly F4,F5,AlephJ build guides is a truth reference
i liked very muchThanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:56 AM   #23
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
I've never had any problems just using plain 60/40 Jaycar solder (Australian electronics retailer OEM branded), even with reflowing 'vintage' solder tracks etc. it wets nicely and leaves a shiny joint. Sometimes I think people go overboard with this stuff. Maybe it's in the technique.

I do use a liquid flux from Cutter Electronics if repairing a track where the copper is oxidised.

Certainly you don't need expensive solder for new PCB's and clean wire and components.

Last edited by Stuey; 23rd September 2013 at 06:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 06:45 AM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
soundhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montpellier near Mediterranean Sea France
Thanks Stuey
i see on Jaycar page this miracle product

Wire Glue 9ml - Jaycar Electronics

its funny maybe for prototype point to point connection
with few components like in
marvelous Zen amplifiers.
Well i am sceptical because solidity in time for this technique.
Ok my reason say quality classic solder is the way to go.

Maybe some diyer change my mind?
All solder , wire references for Pass diy pcb's F4,F5,AlephJ is welcome
make this aspect not neglected have fun
__________________
class A amplifiers with full range speakers sings
like angels in heaven
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Soundhappy, off topic; my 16 year old daughter has just left Australia for a school trip to near you - Draguignan. Lucky girl! It certainly looks like a beautiful part of the world!

Back to solder...I believe Andrew recommends 63/37 solder because it is better for preventing cold joints (where the solder looks dull and doesn't form a good joint). It quickly solidifies when cooling, but 60/40 solder can be affected more by movement of the component before the solder hardens because it stays soft for longer.

I think others recommend silver content to enhance conductivity. So if you want the best, I guess these other solders are better than plain 60/40. But I am quite happy with the more common alloy.

Last edited by Stuey; 23rd September 2013 at 09:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:41 AM   #26
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
.... 63/37 solder because it is better for preventing cold joints (where the solder looks dull and doesn't form a good joint).
if it has low melting point and you exceed this just one bit it will look exactly like you say it wont ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
I think others recommend silver content to enhance conductivity.
which is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
So if you want the best, I guess these other solders are better than plain 60/40.
no
the best solder is what makes you a good solderer
__________________
sometimes we know very little, and sometimes we know too much
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:08 AM   #27
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
I'm only going by what I seem to remember others writing in support of their choices. I only posted again to prevent what you've just done; many on this forum just love to argue these things. Ah well.

What makes me a good solderer is that I'm highly skilled at it; it's not the solder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:24 AM   #28
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
I used to think I was a good solderer.
Until my landlady of 1980/1 saw some of my work.

She was a PCB assembler for a while in the Borders.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:29 AM   #29
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Indeed; I'm only as good as I think I am...
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:31 AM   #30
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I used to think I was a good solderer.
Until my landlady of 1980/1 saw some of my work.

She was a PCB assembler for a while in the Borders.
__________________
sometimes we know very little, and sometimes we know too much
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnet wire insulation that burns off in solder pot Circlotron Parts 5 17th September 2012 06:38 AM
Wire-Wrap vs. Solder phishead8 Equipment & Tools 12 24th May 2011 02:21 PM
How to solder ground wire to RCA Jack northernsky Construction Tips 13 23rd December 2009 08:27 AM
soldering iron temp and solder wire melting point. jarthel Parts 6 10th October 2006 03:12 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2