How much did you spend on your DIY Pass amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just a shade over $900 at the moment but that's having both stuffed F5 and Aleph J boards. If I decide to keep it, then it would easily go over 1k since I would really want to do something interesting about that giant blank aluminum faceplate.

You know cost just isn't an issue though because it's a priceless experience to engage in our main hobby: waiting for parts.

For my current F5 Turbo V3 project (in-progress), I already cash out about 1,500 USD for the chassis, Store Boards, JFETS, MOSFETS.

My target estimate to complete this project will reach about 2,000 to 2,500 USD:eek::eek:
since I dont have yet the Transformer and other minor things.

For about experience: PRICELESS:):):)

Oh... well if I start calculating the cost of the F5TV3 that I'm now currently building.... I think I'm going to cry...
$2500 seems cheap :(

I'm already at over $2K on the chassis and heatsinks alone! (4 chassis monoblock stereo mind you :D)
Now I understand why NP's Xs line is so expensive !

I say, if its going to compete with $10-15K + amps its going to cost $$$ to do it.:p

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm helping a friend and his brother build two F5T V2 stereo amps; they're in for about $1430 apiece. I'm building for myself a pair of F5T V3 monoblocks and, not surprisingly, my own investment is just over $2800. We're using the exotic parts that Buzz supplied in his first F5T group buy, Buzz's power supply boards, the SumR toroids that Buzz made available in his toroid group buy and enclosures and F5T, soft start and speaker protection pcbs available from the diyAudio store. Other parts are coming from mouser and Soniccraft, and we will be sending all four sets of front and rear panels to Front Panel Express for processing. Oh, and I reserved four of the illuminated front panel switches from the little group buy I hosted for the build. I'm sure that F5T amps can be built for less and as a newbie I wouldn't presume to suggest that ours will be state of the art implementations, but I do have very high hopes that our efforts will result in amplifiers that represent an extraordinary "bang for the buck". We might even learn a thing or two along the way.

Regards,
Scott

hey no fair! I'm a poor boy in the Far West, and Far East is where all the cheap stuff can be bought :mad:.

Hi Dazed,

Come over Visit our Country..."Its More Fun In the Philippines" :D:D

No wonder after so fast selling out the F5T Boards in store, the F5 Turbo Build thread is so quiet. I think everybody is in
marathon preparing the build materials and to add winter is coming which a great opportunity to crack-up the bias.

For me to decide to which version I will do depends on the availability of heatsinks. My litmus (without the sinks specs),
the bigger and Heavier is better.

A profile of 10" in height and 80lbs per mono, I would say Im ready for the F5T V3 with higher rail voltage.
Would you imagine I got these 2 mono for a little over 1,000USD with a high grade of WAF:cool::cool:.

Hi Dazed,

Come over Visit our Country..."Its More Fun In the Philippines" :D:D

No wonder after so fast selling out the F5T Boards in store, the F5 Turbo Build thread is so quiet. I think everybody is in
marathon preparing the build materials and to add winter is coming which a great opportunity to crack-up the bias.

For me to decide to which version I will do depends on the availability of heatsinks. My litmus (without the sinks specs),
the bigger and Heavier is better.

A profile of 10" in height and 80lbs per mono, I would say Im ready for the F5T V3 with higher rail voltage.
Would you imagine I got these 2 mono for a little over 1,000USD with a high grade of WAF:cool::cool:.

Nah... Too Hot Too Humid, bad for class A :D:D

I hear you on the big one... thats what I'm building. going for 50V rails :D
Its going to be Hot, and heavy...:censored:

I spent almost $1200 on my Aleph X monoblocks. I did a lot of casework myself using scrap materials I had lying around. And I got a good deal on many of the PCB and other parts from a member who was selling. So I doubt you can do much better than that for these monsters. The heat sinks and PSU parts were the biggest chunk of the cost I think around $700.

My first amp was an A40 that I built with over-the-top parts: Black Gate FK Caps, Mills non-inductive wire wound resistors for the output stage, and Shinkoh 1/2w Tantalum film resistors throughout. The total was somewhere near $600 for a stereo chassis.

Each of my Aleph-X monoblocks totals somewhere near $700, but these are still a "work in progress" so this is likely to increase as I upgrade the input caps, replace some old caps in my power supply, and finish off the jFet upgrade to the input differential.

I have a stereo F4 chassis that I am working on with a BA-3 front end with a lightspeed attenuator. This one will probably come in near $400-500 or so.

I also built a stereo ACA with my daughter that probably cost about $120-130 or so.

But the fun, the pride, and the enjoyment: Priceless! :)

Last edited:
Just started an F5. Using the 4U case (on backorder). About US$50 for transformer, $50 for boards, $150 for parts from Spencer and Mouser. Have hardware bits and pieces. Figure you can build a nice F5 in the US for $600 if you are careful. Doubt I can hear the difference in resistors, wires, or PSU stuff. If that is important, you could easily add $200 in tweak parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.