Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2013, 03:40 PM   #31
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsantos 7 View Post
Hi Dazed,

Come over Visit our Country..."Its More Fun In the Philippines"

No wonder after so fast selling out the F5T Boards in store, the F5 Turbo Build thread is so quiet. I think everybody is in
marathon preparing the build materials and to add winter is coming which a great opportunity to crack-up the bias.

For me to decide to which version I will do depends on the availability of heatsinks. My litmus (without the sinks specs),
the bigger and Heavier is better.

A profile of 10" in height and 80lbs per mono, I would say Im ready for the F5T V3 with higher rail voltage.
Would you imagine I got these 2 mono for a little over 1,000USD with a high grade of WAF.
Nah... Too Hot Too Humid, bad for class A

I hear you on the big one... thats what I'm building. going for 50V rails
Its going to be Hot, and heavy...
Old 8th September 2013, 09:01 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
Errr..... I think we're a few letters short of a pallindrome, here.......!

(Wasn't he the star of that old TV black-and-white Western, starring Richard Boone???)
Have soldering gun will travel ?
Old 9th September 2013, 04:02 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I spent almost $1200 on my Aleph X monoblocks. I did a lot of casework myself using scrap materials I had lying around. And I got a good deal on many of the PCB and other parts from a member who was selling. So I doubt you can do much better than that for these monsters. The heat sinks and PSU parts were the biggest chunk of the cost I think around $700.
Old 10th September 2013, 02:22 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triodethom View Post
Have soldering gun will travel ?
"soldering gun...." he-he..... well played, three-element Thom....
Old 10th September 2013, 12:40 PM   #35
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

My first amp was an A40 that I built with over-the-top parts: Black Gate FK Caps, Mills non-inductive wire wound resistors for the output stage, and Shinkoh 1/2w Tantalum film resistors throughout. The total was somewhere near $600 for a stereo chassis.

Each of my Aleph-X monoblocks totals somewhere near $700, but these are still a "work in progress" so this is likely to increase as I upgrade the input caps, replace some old caps in my power supply, and finish off the jFet upgrade to the input differential.

I have a stereo F4 chassis that I am working on with a BA-3 front end with a lightspeed attenuator. This one will probably come in near $400-500 or so.

I also built a stereo ACA with my daughter that probably cost about $120-130 or so.

But the fun, the pride, and the enjoyment: Priceless!

Last edited by Eric; 10th September 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:38 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

$500 on a stereo F5 + a one-channel F5.
Old 18th September 2013, 02:40 PM   #37
crcook is offline crcook  United States
diyAudio Member

Just started an F5. Using the 4U case (on backorder). About US$50 for transformer, $50 for boards, $150 for parts from Spencer and Mouser. Have hardware bits and pieces. Figure you can build a nice F5 in the US for $600 if you are careful. Doubt I can hear the difference in resistors, wires, or PSU stuff. If that is important, you could easily add $200 in tweak parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!