How much did you spend on your DIY Pass amp? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2013, 04:14 AM   #21
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm just a shade over $900 at the moment but that's having both stuffed F5 and Aleph J boards. If I decide to keep it, then it would easily go over 1k since I would really want to do something interesting about that giant blank aluminum faceplate.

You know cost just isn't an issue though because it's a priceless experience to engage in our main hobby: waiting for parts.
Old 5th September 2013, 05:52 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

For my current F5 Turbo V3 project (in-progress), I already cash out about 1,500 USD for the chassis, Store Boards, JFETS, MOSFETS.

My target estimate to complete this project will reach about 2,000 to 2,500 USD
since I dont have yet the Transformer and other minor things.

For about experience: PRICELESS
Old 5th September 2013, 01:01 PM   #23
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Oh... well if I start calculating the cost of the F5TV3 that I'm now currently building.... I think I'm going to cry...
$2500 seems cheap

I'm already at over $2K on the chassis and heatsinks alone! (4 chassis monoblock stereo mind you )
Now I understand why NP's Xs line is so expensive !

I say, if its going to compete with $10-15K + amps its going to cost $$$ to do it.

Last edited by dazed2; 5th September 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 5th September 2013, 01:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
...You know cost just isn't an issue though because it's a priceless experience to engage in our main hobby: waiting for parts.
Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.
Old 5th September 2013, 02:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed2 View Post
Oh... well if I start calculating the cost of the F5TV3 that I'm now currently building.... I think I'm going to cry...
$2500 seems cheap
For me as a poor boy in the Far East this is a big fortune already
Still looking for a $1000 for 3 months time
Old 5th September 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Double post...

Last edited by abadsantos 7; 5th September 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 5th September 2013, 03:31 PM   #27
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsantos 7 View Post
For me as a poor boy in the Far East this is a big fortune already
Still looking for a $1000 for 3 months time
hey no fair! I'm a poor boy in the Far West, and Far East is where all the cheap stuff can be bought .
Old 5th September 2013, 04:16 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

well. don't think poor boy east has the same salary as a poor boy west
Old 5th September 2013, 05:46 PM   #29
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I'm helping a friend and his brother build two F5T V2 stereo amps; they're in for about $1430 apiece. I'm building for myself a pair of F5T V3 monoblocks and, not surprisingly, my own investment is just over $2800. We're using the exotic parts that Buzz supplied in his first F5T group buy, Buzz's power supply boards, the SumR toroids that Buzz made available in his toroid group buy and enclosures and F5T, soft start and speaker protection pcbs available from the diyAudio store. Other parts are coming from mouser and Soniccraft, and we will be sending all four sets of front and rear panels to Front Panel Express for processing. Oh, and I reserved four of the illuminated front panel switches from the little group buy I hosted for the build. I'm sure that F5T amps can be built for less and as a newbie I wouldn't presume to suggest that ours will be state of the art implementations, but I do have very high hopes that our efforts will result in amplifiers that represent an extraordinary "bang for the buck". We might even learn a thing or two along the way.

Regards,
Scott
Old 6th September 2013, 02:16 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed2 View Post
hey no fair! I'm a poor boy in the Far West, and Far East is where all the cheap stuff can be bought .
Hi Dazed,

Come over Visit our Country..."Its More Fun In the Philippines"

No wonder after so fast selling out the F5T Boards in store, the F5 Turbo Build thread is so quiet. I think everybody is in
marathon preparing the build materials and to add winter is coming which a great opportunity to crack-up the bias.

For me to decide to which version I will do depends on the availability of heatsinks. My litmus (without the sinks specs),
the bigger and Heavier is better.

A profile of 10" in height and 80lbs per mono, I would say Im ready for the F5T V3 with higher rail voltage.
Would you imagine I got these 2 mono for a little over 1,000USD with a high grade of WAF.

Hide this!Advertise here!