Another Pass "reproduction" on Ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right Here I am RFWA1 My DIY membership Charly1 Answer to all.
First the guy call AUDIO SAN. Remember as far as it work as ground where u connect is not a matter.
If u need to make sure my Engineering qualification send ur email I will send a copy.

Ok this is a answer for fist malfunction brain start this tread.

Yes I do audio amplifiers build and two way radio as hobby from years. How F5 came to me one day one DIY member in AUS came with a ugly aluminum box with dirty two PCB and cables,
I asked what is this Ahh U know this F4 amplifier from US paid 800USD and shipping. Right unfortunately I had not get pictures of that. Then I ask what is this and how etc research the F4 and found F5 build one and with all specs nope start Hum. change cables here and there. ( I used tubeshunter ebay PCB coz don't know how to buy DIY genuine PCB)
Right then bought the DIY genuine ones and made all work fine even I added a comment long ago how to get oV and .6V bias much easy buy using three volt meters. I have sold more than 8 amplifiers even last week orders new PCB set from DIY. So I can not understand what is the issue with the first guy and what he try to achieve with his wonderful starting I know I given good return seems he burn his ***. Thanks for the guys who talk positive and understanding. We say Dog can bark but mountains are stable.

Ah to other idiot who use word Rip-off. In Australia technician or Engineer charge 100AUD per hour for normal service. I spend more than 12 hours to make one amp plus Parts . Hope u learn mathematic in grade 3 calculate the profit and gain. talk some thing use full man?????

so it's okey to ground the amp thru the transformers center bolt??????
go ahead and belive that.
BTW. looking at all your posts, you are asking a lot of basic questions. i doubt an engineer related to Electronics would need to ask this.
he would also know that you never ground thru the transformer center bolt

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , I'm not engineer ...... so I think then that's smaller crime that I'm stupid

stupid ZM

( also grounded to center bolt my first Donut equipped amp ; luckily , I was even more stupid - audio gnd wasn't connected to case/safety gnd , in any way ..... which , btw, is not having anything with bolt issue , per se )

:devilr:

stupid ZM

also grounded to center bolt my first Donut equipped amp ; luckily..... :

I remember my first high power (4 kw) HF radio amp, using a 3cx5000 tube. Several mistakes turned it into a welder, before I finally got it working. Besides "letting the smoke out", it also let out the sparks, fire, toxic smells, etc, etc. (It would NOT have received an official Zen Mod "fugly" rating!)

More importantly, the customers are missing out on the experience of
building their own, which is the true value of something like the F5.

:cool:

better myself I could not have said.

hands on, brings schematics and theory to life.
hardware in the hands, is a rewarding accomplishment
letting the smoke out is a great learning opportunity
the music sounds great from a Pass amp--
--and even BETTER is you truly DIY.

(Thanks, Papa--for giving us the opportunity)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have sold more than 8 amplifiers

That's the issue. You sold them. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you made money or lost money, you held out a sign saying "I will build you a Pass amp".

Regardless of profit, that is a commercial venture, and this community respects Mr. Pass by not doing exactly what you have done.

So if you are wondering why there is such comment and general unhappiness about your actions, that is the reason.

That's the issue. You sold them. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you made money or lost money, you held out a sign saying "I will build you a Pass amp".

Regardless of profit, that is a commercial venture, and this community respects Mr. Pass by not doing exactly what you have done.

So if you are wondering why there is such comment and general unhappiness about your actions, that is the reason.

6L6. Your note highlights long range valuable guidance:
  • Any entrepreuneur must seek the blessing of Mr. Pass. Maybe it is not too late for Charly 1 or future other to do so. This opens up a mutual commercial opportunity for both parties.
  • DIYers of the Pass Labs Forum hold Mr. Pass dear to heart, highly respect him and appreciate him and his work. We all value and guard his reputation. This has led to unspoken allegiance, and absent conflict of commercial interest etc..This unspoken rule do not scale up FW amps for commercial use needs to be spelled out repeatedly, and maybe enforced.

Right Here I am RFWA1

Charly1. My post is unsolicited coaching to promote constructive dialogue. Please note the following:
  • Discuss with Mr. Pass; because your ad suggested that your activity is continuing.
  • The title you used to promote your product "Nelson Pass F5 Power Amplifier" is not accurate, and may be perceived by its buyer into believing it is so; which maybe construed to be a grey area of inadvertent deceit. There can only be one F5 power amp; that made by Mr. Pass. The hundreds which have been assembled todate by DIYers including yourself are diyF5s. No DIYer can proclaim in good faith its diyF5 is a Nelson Pass F5; because it is not.
  • Mr. Pass is known worlwide. His name Nelson Pass is intellectually and commercially invaluable. Using his name without his permission is enabling you to inadvertently prosper by it; riding on his coat tails so to speak. What's in it for Mr Pass? I hope that you have intrinsic fairness to resolve this. Besides you are setting a questionable precedent which may be practiced by others.
  • The pcb picture of 7 for your product shows an acknowledgement to Mr Pass. I feel it is OK to keep it for personal use of diyF5; but I question you showing it; because you are again inadvertently riding on his reputation to push the sale of the product.
I hope that you'll ponder your human elements of fairness, accuracy true/ false. pride, and right/wrong vis a vis your product.

Any entrepreuneur must seek the blessing of Mr. Pass. Maybe it is not too late for Charly 1 or future other to do so. This opens up a mutual commercial opportunity for both parties.

I can't seem to get the math right, on this argument. If Mr. Pass and First Watt market the F5 for $3,000.....what would compel him to a participate in a "mutual commerical opportunity" by lending his name and credibility to a poorly-fabricated clone/rip-off/reproduction/cheap copy, to get a small portion of a $1,000 sale?

Antoinel.....please let me know if you are available to do my 2013 Federal Income Tax return for me........ :D

My head hurts. Onto other threads, and other "engineering" discussions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.