Aleph J illustrated build guide

Ha - Me to my wife: "See, none of these characters are to be trusted about which amp sounds the best. All they do is argue: M2!, no AJ! Its the Vfets! J2 wins! This is why I need to build each one so I can listen for myself! ;) :D

So far, she hasn't replied with :headshot:

Though, it would be entertaining to see an image of Choky and his direct energy methods :D

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
he was practicing that regularly

Attachments

• FZPippy.jpg
    FZPippy.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 550
has anyone compared the sound between the aleph j and direct energy amplifiers?

I have multiple channels of Aleph J and ICEPOWER 50ASX2 driving studio monitor with active crossover. If they would consume the same energy, AJ is the winner for me, no question. Well, you should compare them yourself, because they are very different.

High freq: AJ is more 3D, more palpable, less edgy. Icepower has a bit more edge and resolution, and it is slightly cleaner.

Mid freq: AJ has nice mid. Icepower sounds flat. Icepower is less colored, and less interesting.

Low freq: AJ is less tight, but has a nice weight. Icepower sounds light and far, but tighter.

Overall, AJ is more musical, enjoyable amp to listen, and more than accurate enough to be used as a studio reference monitor amp.

I used EQ to match frequency response when comparing them directly. Those 2 amps have different damping factor, and comparison without EQ may draw different impression, I guess.

Last edited:
I have multiple channels of Aleph J and ICEPOWER 50ASX2 driving studio monitor with active crossover. If they would consume the same energy, AJ is the winner for me, no question. Well, you should compare them yourself, because they are very different.

High freq: AJ is more 3D, more palpable, less edgy. Icepower has a bit more edge and resolution, and it is slightly cleaner.

Mid freq: AJ has nice mid. Icepower sounds flat. Icepower is less colored, and less interesting.

Low freq: AJ is less tight, but has a nice weight. Icepower sounds light and far, but tighter.

Overall, AJ is more musical, enjoyable amp to listen, and more than accurate enough to be used as a studio reference monitor amp.

I used EQ to match frequency response when comparing them directly. Those 2 amps have different damping factor, and comparison without EQ may draw different impression, I guess.

thanks for the comments. what genre of music is recorded in the studio?

You're in the wrong forum for getting good advice on Class D.

If you know you will be satisfied with class d then they are good value for money, but usually people end up desiring more and you'll end up building a Class A amp in which case it may turn out to be a waste of money.

My tripath amps are in the closet. I purchased them as it was a quick way to experiment with a biamp setup.

You're in the wrong forum for getting good advice on Class D.

If you know you will be satisfied with class d then they are good value for money, but usually people end up desiring more and you'll end up building a Class A amp in which case it may turn out to be a waste of money.

My tripath amps are in the closet. I purchased them as it was a quick way to experiment with a biamp setup.

Agree...
In my system only to drive subwoofer up to 65 Hz.

I've built many class D amplifiers including the Icepower. The best I have heard with my speakers are the TPA3255 and one of the better tripath based ones. They can be impressive when first experiencing them. That being said the more than 10 I have are also in the closet choosing my NP class A amplifiers or one of my SET tube amps over any of them. For serious listening class A is still class A as Nelson says.

what speakers are you driving?

JBL DMS-1. The reason why I occasionally connect Icepower is, 6 channels of Aleph J makes my studio too hot especially in summer. For casual listening for normal people, Icepower is a perfect amp, and I would recommend it to my closest friend and family. Would I recommend FirstWatt amps to them? Well, you know... ;) They are esoteric.

Hi there. I'm just about to order AlephJ PCBs and parts through the diyaudio store. Two questions:
1. Should I also buy the SOFT START & SPEAKER TURN-ON DELAY / DC PROTECTOR COMBO PCB or is that not really necessary?
2. Are matched mosfets and jfets absolutely essential?
Thanks,
Andrew