Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2012
Paid Member
stupid, stupid me! :blush:
I discovered it myself, there is no jumper in R27...Luckily you can solder in the jumper from above :happy1:
It's all ok now...can bias the amp, can set the offset to zero.

Lessons learned: the higher the resistance, the higher the bias :D
with a maximum bias of 1.34 Ampere.. It's nice that Pa limited it to this value, otherwise I would have :hot:
Thanks Jim and ZM. Now going to build the second channel so I can listen in stereo.

Hi Guys,

I have an F5 that I powering a set of Jordan JX92S in back horns with. Very clean sound. But now that the Aleph J boards are available I am very tempted to install a set into my F5 chassis like I saw someone doing here. Can anyone here who has heard both comment on the sonic differences that they have experienced between the F5 and AlephJ. Before I jump in It would be nice to have some info on what to expect, and if I could expect a noticibly difference between the two. I'm guessing that this has been asked before, but I could not uncover any answers using the search function.

Thanks,

PJN

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That is the best description I've ever heard!!

I like both amps very much.

The Aleph is warmer without losing any detail. A bit more like a perfect tube amp. The F5 is very, very detailed, but not strident. The A has a bit less control in the bass, but not 'flabby' in any way.

The Aleph runs quite a bit hotter.

Build it, try it. You won't be disappointed. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You could try a Balanced Zen Linestage...

https://www.passdiy.com/project/preamplifiers/balanced-zen-line-stage

If you get some boards made I will buy a set.

That looks about right! Thanks. I just noticed that my pre has 2 sets of balanced outs, and will match my needs.

However, the next step of my DIY endeavors just might be to work a design from schematic to finished box. So far it's been kits, now the Aleph J from circuit boards, and good directions.

two questions about resistors

Please, I'm kinda lost in my reading and building, not having any luck finding data over the last few days, on two resistors questions : 1). choosing a resistor value for the LEDs is based on the final rail voltage (hopefully 24V when using an 18V transformer)? and... 2). What is the effect of using/adding optional resistors (0R47) in the (universal v3) power supply?

Thank you to all of the really smart fellows out there assisting the newbies!!!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The extra resistors are there for higher current designs like the F5T. Just use the 4 per rail like you were planning.

For the LEDs, get something from 2.2k to 4.7k, 1/2 to 1W . Less ohms will be brighter, more ohms will be dimmer, but you need more dissipation . That resistor isn't very critical.

Holy Cow! First I start with a cMoy from JDS labs, then a GT101 from 'updatemydynaco" (which I gave to my granddaughter), then an ACA. Now I'm in the midst of an Aleph J, and I'm way over my head, but you guys start talking about a line level pre amp and I am really ready to think about that. To quote Popeye, "I've never had so much fun and still been conscious".
But, seriously, I've been thinking ahead about what kind of preamp I'm going to want when the Aleph J is finished and I would buy into a balanced Zen.
Anyway, right now I'm looking forward to the power supply kit and I'll just
keep on soldering. This DIY is addictive.