Aleph J illustrated build guide

Question: based on various posts on this thread, I am assuming that a dim bulb tester should be considered required equipment for any relatively inexperienced person building an Aleph J. What bulb wattage is necessary?

Incandescent bulbs are getting hard to find in many places, so it would be nice not to have to source 40, 60, AND 100 watt bulbs.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I suppose you could wire up four light bulb sockets in parallel, and purchase four 30W bulbs.

If you install one bulb, it's 30W. If you install two bulbs, it's 60W. If you install 3 bulbs, it's 90W. And if you install 4 bulbs, it's 120W. Now you only have to source one type of bulb.

You might also want to get four of these for operator safety.

Nope. Has to be X2/Y2 rated, for across the mains use.

ECQ-U2A332ML Panasonic | Mouser

I have finally accumulated all my parts for this build and as I read through this thread completely for the second time, I now notice you specify X2/Y2 rated for this capacitor in the thermistor bock.

Back in your F5 build guide you mentioned for that application using an X1/Y1 rated capacitor.

This is the one i had ordered, will this be sufficient? Or do I need to order an X2/Y2 rated for this build?

C947U332MZWDBAWL50 KEMET | Mouser

Power Supply Board v3 installing only 4 caps?

I have four 35v 33000 uF caps I want to use for my build. Can I pupulate the PSB with these in C1, C4, C5 and C8 without having to purchase additional/new set of caps? It looks like it would work, not sure if I needed to take any additional steps to make the board work with just four caps installed like this.

Question: based on various posts on this thread, I am assuming that a dim bulb tester should be considered required equipment for any relatively inexperienced person building an Aleph J. What bulb wattage is necessary?

Incandescent bulbs are getting hard to find in many places, so it would be nice not to have to source 40, 60, AND 100 watt bulbs.

I have been using a 150W bulb for years, and have a 300W for really large amps. I found that with smaller bulbs, quite often the rail voltage won't get high enough to properly bias the amp and may actually cause problems where there aren't actually any to begin with. Even with a 300W bulb, if there is a serious problem a 300W bulb will limit current.

These are my CDN $.02 worth. :D

Cheers

davidjt, best check with xrk971 over at the SLB thread.

From what I know the Cap Mx function of that board chews a bit of voltage drop. Depending on how much sag / regulation that your transformer will deliver at load, I wouldn't be surprised if what you've got is close to about "just right". Might ring in just above the +/- 24 VDC spec for the Aleph J, but an extra volt shouldn't be a major issue.

I'm interested to see what xrk971 has to say.

I use a pair of SLB boards in my F6, in a dual-mono configuration. The transformers are a pair of Antek AS-3222, which each have a pair of 22V secondaries. This works well for 1.8A bias current and a final value of 26V for the power rails going to my channel boards. I am using a different set of transistors for the CFP outputs, which give me a little more voltage than the standard SLB. If you use the recommended transistors, rail voltages will be about 0.5V less.
The LT4320-based rectifiers need dual secondaries, not a center-tapped secondary output on the transformer.

The Aleph J, like the F6, will run fine at 25V to 26V on the power rails. Power dissipation will be a little more, but shouldn't be a problem with the usual chassis heatsinks.

Many thanks for that.

Now I have to decide whether at my age I'd hear a difference between a single and a dual-mono configuration!

At 67 years old, following a career as a hydropower electrician, I not only noticed the difference but continue to be delighted by it. Sound stage improvement and clarity resulting from more complete complete distinction between channels is amazing.
Counter intuitive that more separation would in result superior overall cohesiveness and, but I find it to be very true.

Application here is an Aleph J that started out with a single CRC diyAudio store board then went to dual mono still using diyAudio CRC boards.

Have my boards almost complete ,need a bit of clarification on the input wiring . Does this still stand as the proper method.''RCA center to +IN, RCA outer to GND, jumper -IN to GND.'' The only picture I see is hard to make this out . thanks.

Attachments

• 20200725_140711.jpg
    20200725_140711.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 362
Last edited: