silmic 2 positions in the pass amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson says silmics sound good. I have used them in decoupling capacitors 100uf/35 from digikey and my observations are

1. Sound looses all the microdetails
2. Bass gets enhanced which is nice
3. Mids lost its layering
4. Highs lost its sparkle
overall positive feedback is its ultra rich in tonal quality.

Now I tried to put it as input capacitor 1uf/50v and now I found its better than the above case but I just have a big doubt that a generic polypropylene cap sounds best at the input I believe. Did anybody tried using Silmic at the input?

Are these silmics better at the input than the polypropylene caps?

Bummer, I just ordered a bunch of Silmic's for my A-J. Perhaps what you heard as microdetails and sparkle was a touch of sibilance?

I tend to like polyprops at the input, or no cap at all if you can get away with it.

ZM's advice is sound, don't let others tell you what you "should" be hearing.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Nelson says silmics sound good.

Nelson isn't the only one saying they sound good, but your point is taken.

Maybe the problem is that you are using an electrolytic as a decoupling cap.
Maybe you should try Mundorf, V-Caps or other poly or PTFE by-pass type caps.

From what I remember, Mr Pass used the Silmic II at the output of the F3 or Zen 9 in parallel with good success. Others have done so as well. Me, to not spend $80 on caps, I used 2 large Mundorf and a pair of large slimic II caps in parallel.
My Zen 9 sounds fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.