New project - how to choose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank you guys for the replays. I was able to borrow F5 - Thank you for being so generous.
I'm sold out now for the F5 and will get it. It made my room a little too hot so I'll get two (or more later) amps. One F5 for winter and smaller amp for summer.
Could you advise amp what doesn't run so hot with the same sound signature? For example could I run F5 on 15V rails or better (different) alternatives exist?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Vlad

I think that some of the guys here forget how daunting it is to build your first amplifier, let alone trying to wade through all the information and decide which model to build.

I personally recommend the F5. It has the most support, it is the easiest to get PCBs and parts for and you can build it in a reasonable amount of time. Back when Tech-DIY was selling transistor kits it really was a buy and assemble preposition.

Once you get to the point you have build multiple amplifiers you will find that they are all really good and that each one is more like a different flavor. There isn't a good/better/best per se.

Thank you guys for the replays. I was able to borrow F5 - Thank you for being so generous.
I'm sold out now for the F5 and will get it. It made my room a little too hot so I'll get two (or more later) amps. One F5 for winter and smaller amp for summer.
Could you advise amp what doesn't run so hot with the same sound signature? For example could I run F5 on 15V rails or better (different) alternatives exist?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Vlad

insted of lowering the rails, change all lightbulbs in the house to LED bulbs, throw out the TV and get a LED TV. then you can have 2 F5's without it beeng too hot:)

Vlad - I found myself asking the same question. My computer's audio is at present running on a rack-mounted commercial amp that's pretty efficient; good thing since the PC itself isn't exactly cool (esp after 5+ hours of aliens vs my blasters). My HT amp runs constantly - if the TV is on, it is on. Yes - game shows get all 500W or so + sub and I suspect most here are the same way but better equipment.

So... where does this leave my class-a stuffs? Critical Listening. Maybe an hour or two as the evening winds down... some chamber music, maybe a little jazz when there's a beverage on the table and not another care in the world? That time's limited but when it's there I want to enjoy it to the fullest.

Point? How many hours is it -really- going to run? Is this a replacement for a commercial part running a lower thermal output or as I've described above?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.