UK Aleph-X PCB orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm afraid that they may be a little big for me at the momnet, I'd never manage to sneek a couple of foot of amlifiers past the missus without her complaining. Plus, untill I finish my course and get a job and somewhere a littel bigger to live I doubt I could ever find space for something that big at the momnet. So, unfortunately that would b a poor 0 for me.

Heatsinks

Hi, still doing reasearch into uk heatsinks.......Gaz has kindly advised me of the following

''Speak to the nice people at DAU Components
(http://www.dau-components.co.uk) on 01243 553031. Also Heatsinks Online
(http://www.heatsinksonline.co.uk/home.htm) but they're a bit of a pain in the ****...Of course; there is RS (http://www.rswww.com) but they are expensive.

DAU deal in Fischer Heatsinks...I looked into getting these:

SK 56 (200mm length)
Black anodised
300x200x40mm including 10mm base plate & 30mm fin length
0.3K/W
Price based on 4: £34.81 each''

Will look into this further.....prices don't seem too bad....will keep everybody posted!

;) ;) ;)

Well, I got my transformers today (all four of them) and they look quite nice once I have them stripped out of the boxes they came in (which in themselfs would make nice project boxes if I had enough room to store them untill I needed something like that). I measured them up, and at no load they have one large 15-0-15-18 output which is rated for about 13A on each tapping (so about 390VA for the two 15V taps I will be using) as well as a much smaller 15-0-15 output (by the looks of the cable on this, I wouldn't want to risk more than an amp from them). Also, because of the extra 18V tap, the transformers are aproximately the same size (a littel bigger, but not much) than some 500VA ones that I ahe seen, so they should prove very nice for running a channel each, especialy considering they only cost me about £15 each including the postage.

CONRAD HEATSINKS

I have emailed Conrad .............. for a shipment price on
150X350 heatsink or 150X300double flanged..........
I know Bigparsnip & Kram is interested so maybe we could do a combined order ............... I will report back once Conrad reply to me..............

Richard :cool:

Conrad Heatsinks

I have just had a reply from Conrad............prices look good sinks are working out @ approx £30 each! See below.....

All those intrested please post.........

Thankyou for your enquiry. Yes, we can send to the uk and costs would be as
follows:

MF35 350. Could you have meant MF35-151.5? If so:
MF35-151.5 x 6 @ 49.64ea. 297.84
Delivery (Fed Ex Air 3-4 days) 167.00
Delivery discount to overseas - less 40% (66.80)
Total
398.04 (UKP168.37)

MF30-2F-300. Could you have meant MF30-2F-151.5? If so:
MF30-2F-151.5 x 6 @ 45.54ea. 273.24
Delivery (FedEx Air) 167.00
Delivery discount - less 40% (66.80)
Total
373.44 (UKP157.97)

Availability: the above heatsinks are in stock.

Payment method: credit card (Visa, B'card, Mastercard) would be fine with us.

:D

Hi I have got a reply from a Dutch firm who can supply matched Mosfets........+ other parts.......thought the uk crowd may find it useful..............

info@specmail.nl

Hello,

I can deliver all Pass labs parts you need, it take some time for some parts, I have matched Mosfets IRFP240 for 2,70 Euro each.
33000uF/ 40V capacitors is usual for all the Aleph types who operate on supply voltages till + and - 35V specially now I use for an 100Watt X a powersupply with 33000uF and an inductor 4mH and a 100000uF/40V after the inductor, the ripple voltage will be less than 1mV.

50V capacitors are more expensive and the 40V types and hard to find, 63V is the next step....

I will send the prices asap

regards A Herweijer:clown:

Looks tempting.......

Hi all,

I am a little short of dosh at the moment, but this looks like a good deal. Heatsinks x 2 or 4 and matched mosfets to suit - It would be worth coming aboard and putting them away for a rainy day!!

Thanks for doing all this digging. I am a newbie, so will look to "clone" my X!!

Cheers

Jon

Hello there,

Conrads prices do seem quite reasonable I guess, the only concern I have with them is at only 150mm high are they really high enough.
I wouldnt know as I have never built an amp before and all the ones I have seen pictures of on this forum seem to be higher.

Also how many would be required? Are 2 enough for a stereo amp or would it have to be 4 for a pair of mono blocks?

Just out of intrest are there any of the PCBs left?

I am definatly not in a hurry to build anything at the moment, too much uni work for that :bawling: but if I can get some of the more expensive parts cheaper by doing group buys with you guys then Im all for it. Hence my intrest in the heatsink order.

speak to you all later
Mark.

Also how many would be required?

That all depends on how big you want to build, at teh moomnet, I'm looking at doing a version with roughly 20V supply rails and a 5a bias, which will at worst dissipate 200W in the heatsinks (gives me maximum output powers of 80, 50 and 25 respectively into 8, 4 and 2 ohm loads). So one of the largest ones, the MF35 - 151.1 at 0.21deg/w should 'just' do for one channel, so you could easily put two in a box.

However, if you want to go any larger than this I would sugest using two per channel and building yourself two mono blocks. as this would alow for about 400w dissipation from each chassis, so with voltage rails of 25V, and an 8A you would be able to get 130, 128 and 64 watts output power into 8, 4 and 2 ohm loads respectively, which is quite a lot for a class a amp.

As far as any PCB's being left over, I believe that Chris orderd quite a few extra, and once he has sorted out all of the initial orders, and is back in canada he will be selling off all of the spares to people who missed out the first time. So if you wait a week or two, you should be able to pick some up direct form him to get yourself going.

In the meantime though, feel free to try and join in on any more of the UK group buys we try and organise.

Andrew.

Re: Looks tempting.......

jonclancy said:
Hi all,

I am a little short of dosh at the moment, but this looks like a good deal. Heatsinks x 2 or 4 and matched mosfets to suit - It would be worth coming aboard and putting them away for a rainy day!!

Thanks for doing all this digging. I am a newbie, so will look to "clone" my X!!

Cheers

Jon

If you are a little short on cash, I sujest you check out the place I got my transformers from (15 - 0 - 15 [with an extra 18V tap, which you can just ignore] and good for about 400VA ont hese lines with about 500-600 in total) as they are a bit of a bargin at only £12 each pluss the shipping. If you do want to, have a look at the e-bay page below, I think he should have some left (well, he had about 30 or so when the auction finished anyway).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2587255910&category=4661&rd=1

karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk uk group buy

I am very interested in taking part in a group buy........for mosfets, heatsinks etc........any body else interested...........

Also could cadaudio.........post a parts list/data sheets....if possible

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.