F5T with 56V rails?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i say no. you need more then 2 output pairs to handle the heat. 52V*0.9A bias pr device=46.8W dissipation pr device. that is to high.
you can however run it with alot lower bias. like 0.5A pr device (26W dissipation). but it will only give you 16W class A at 8ohm.

Last edited:
0.9A was for the 50W v2. a general answer regarding if one can build a v2 with 52V rails.
v2= 2pair output 50W class A amp.
and one would need to change source resistors so that the diodes dont kick in way too soon. or drop them all together. but then its not a v2 anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
So if I understand it right it's not possible to have +-52V rails and 30W class A and remaining in class AB what it now will be. What do I need to change specifically to make that happen. Sorry for all these maybe "stupid" questions but I'm new at this and need help.

Br Leif

it is possible. but i would drop the diodes. and cascode the front end.
it will be alot of extra heat doh. 0.7A pr device and 52V rails give you those 30W class A. with a dissipation of just over 140W pr ch(36W pr device). so you will need some monster sinks:)

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
So if I understand it right it's not possible to have +-52V rails and 30W class A and remaining in class AB what it now will be. What do I need to change specifically to make that happen. Sorry for all these maybe "stupid" questions but I'm new at this and need help.

Br Leif

It is possible but you will have to refigure the source resistor value to drop the apporopriate voltage needed to have the diodes near turn on. The easier way is balanced. You get voltage on the cheap.

I have just ordered another set of boards so I can build a F5T V3 with 4 pairs of mosfets per channel. Then should the problem be solved. I should have no problem to have +-52V rails and to set the bias for around 30W class A and the remaining in class AB. Then I don't need monster heatsinks as well I guess. My intention is to build monoblocks with 2.2 KVA tr and about 0.5 F per channel. Should be a very nice amp.

Br

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.