Zen Revisited Vs Anthony Holton A/B amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2001, 10:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, new poster here

I've been into audio for about 3 years now, and my system has ended up with a MF X-Ray front end, Pass Zen revisited amp and some home made two way's. (use Audax HM170Z0 aerogel woffers and Scan 9500 tweeters, around 89db/w)
I've only recently discovered this forum and have a first question for all the Pass fanatics
Has anybody had experience with the 200wpc Symmetrical output MOSFET amp designed by Anthony Holton http://www.vision.net.au/~anthony/symmetric.htm and how it would compare with my Zen?

I'm fairly sure the sound wouldn't be as good (GREAT amp btw NP ) but I want more welly than the (around) 15wpc my Zen produces (less heat would be nice too, I already have central heating).

If the Anthony Holton amp doesn't compare, does anyone have any suggestions on a class A/B design around 100-200wpc that I could try? Nice and simple plz, I like to be able to try a nice 'rats nest' prototype first, only poss with reasonably simple circuits, the Leach isnt simple enough for my liking.

Thanks in advance
Richard
Old 1st May 2001, 04:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Give it a go I don't think you will be disappointed..

regards

Anthony Holton
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com

Quote:
Originally posted by FullThrottleRic
Hi guys, new poster here

I've been into audio for about 3 years now, and my system has ended up with a MF X-Ray front end, Pass Zen revisited amp and some home made two way's. (use Audax HM170Z0 aerogel woffers and Scan 9500 tweeters, around 89db/w)
I've only recently discovered this forum and have a first question for all the Pass fanatics
Has anybody had experience with the 200wpc Symmetrical output MOSFET amp designed by Anthony Holton http://www.vision.net.au/~anthony/symmetric.htm and how it would compare with my Zen?

I'm fairly sure the sound wouldn't be as good (GREAT amp btw NP ) but I want more welly than the (around) 15wpc my Zen produces (less heat would be nice too, I already have central heating).

If the Anthony Holton amp doesn't compare, does anyone have any suggestions on a class A/B design around 100-200wpc that I could try? Nice and simple plz, I like to be able to try a nice 'rats nest' prototype first, only poss with reasonably simple circuits, the Leach isnt simple enough for my liking.

Thanks in advance
Richard
Old 1st May 2001, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Arrow AKSA?

Hi there,

well, since you asked for other recommendations too..
I am very content with my AKSA.
It is a kit from Printed Electronics.

see http://www.printedelectronics.com for details.
My homepage (click on the house below) features a page about my amp.

Have Fun,
Timo
Old 8th May 2001, 09:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Aussie amplifier please respond

I'm interested in buying the pcb
however, I'd to ask your kind favour to spare yr time
answering my questions.

First: Is the current pcb reflects the changes you made for the
biasing scheme and o/p stage?

Second: can I use toshiba SK2915 instead IRF 240?
Can I use only 2 pair for each channel as I only have 4 pairs tr?
can I use (45V ct 45v)x-fer?

Third: what is the chances for me to succeed in building yr amp?
it seems quite difficult for a novice like me,will the instruction in
assembly as detailed as the aksa kit (printedelectronics.com)?
Old 8th May 2001, 11:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default reply from aussieamps

Hi Dexter

I am not sure which amplifier you are refering to but I assume you are talking about the n-channel amplifier.
The changes to this design only require the addition of some degenerative resistors in the o/p stage which are easyly fitted to the existing pcb design. The other changes are only component value changes.
You should have no problems completing this amplifier, as it is no harder to build that any other amplifier.
I see no problem using the 2SK2915 devices, provided they have a Drain Source voltage rating of at least 150 volts.
4 pairs should not pose a problem as you would be operating it from a lower supply rail. As you will have no problem using the 90v ct transformer...

If you want to have a look at the construction manual for the n-channel or the other designs. then have a look at
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com and click on the link called Construction manuals Online. They you will find some PDF files...

I hope this helps you..

Warm regards

Anthony Holton
Old 10th May 2001, 08:31 AM   #6
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

How about rising the supply rail voltage? ...i got an old denon POA6600A monoblock witch seem imposibly to repair.... (its operated to close to SOA so the transiotors just break down too often) so im looking for a nice project to rebuild it around...the nchanel amp looks quite intresseting esspecially since i got a lot of irfp240 but i believe the denon amps supply deliver around +- 70-90 volt not quite certain but i have the schematic so i can check it upp.. how much can yhe n channel amp take before it needs to be redesigned?

/micke
Old 10th May 2001, 11:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default reply form aussieamps

G'day

The n-channel design should have no trouble handling supply rails as high as +-95 volts. The only thing that needs to be checked is the thermal stability of the o/p stage and perhaps a small heatsink on the pre-regulator ccT for the bias control...
The other thing would be the use of more powerful devices if 4 Ohm loads are to be used at higher power levels around 300 watts or higher...
Advanced Power Technology or APT make most excellent devices with case power dissapation as high as 500 watts..

warm regards

Anthony Holton
Old 11th May 2001, 11:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

well i want to use IRPF9240 (i got alot of them) you mean put a heatsink on the LM317K?

the o/p heatsink is ratet 0,2-0,3 that should be sufficient?

i think the transformer delivers +-90V under load. and i rated 500-1Kw hard to tell when it is encapsulated.

/micke
Old 11th May 2001, 11:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

by the way ... do you publish the layout for the amp? i would like to make my own circuit boards.....and should i wait for the 6x300W amp and make a 2 channel version ?

/micke
Old 12th May 2001, 04:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

must all mosfets be matched or is it enough that the 3 to 3 puch/pull banks are matched??

/micke

Hide this!Advertise here!