Aleph power supply capacitors considerations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2003, 12:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph power supply capacitors considerations

What brand of those big cans do you usually use?
What are the individual sonic characters of diffrent PS caps?

As I recall Mr Nelson uses Mallory caps.
I cosider Siemens,Panasonic and Aerovox to be among the best,but which of them to choose? I don't know.

Would like to hear your opinions on that topic.
Any one ever compare diffrent brands of caps and their sound?

Bartek
Old 5th December 2003, 01:53 AM   #2
The one and only

I use what's reliable and reasonable, and keeping in mind
that most of these are made by the same plants, it's not
suprising that they tend to sound about the same, all other
things being equal.

Lots of capacitance and CLC or CRC type filtration really helps,
and depending on the circuit, some good film bypass can really
help - and almost never hurts.
Old 5th December 2003, 01:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer Mr Pass.

Quote:
some good film bypass can really help
That is what I observed with Aleph 4 and Alep 3 clones.It really betters the sound.
But I also observed that putting small caps across rectifire diodes kills the sound.

As to the capacitance:
Do you think building up those high capacitances with smaller values (like ten 10000uF caps instead of four 25000uF) might improve things?

Bartek
Old 12th December 2003, 11:02 PM   #4
chrisx is offline chrisx  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I'm preparing to build Aleph 2 monoblocks - my first serious diy audio project, so I have many questions. I will be glad to receive some help...
I'm completing order list for Aleph 2 PSU, so I need advice.
What capacitance amount should I use. In oryginal Aleph 2 scheme there are four 22 000 uF capacitors used, but at [URL=http://www.web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/power-2.html ] there is 8 times 47 000 uF used. I guess, bigger capacitance sounds better, but is there good compromise? Is it good to use many 10 000 uF (I can buy them cheap) instead of bigger ones? For my example 40 times 10 000 uF seems to be a little crazy idea.
One more question (little bit off topic): Is 600VA/40V trafo suitable for Aleph 2?
Old 13th December 2003, 11:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My observation is that a big value of capacitance and very small amount of ESR after a bridge can cause big distortion on sine wave on the secondary due to summary impedance of the secondary and diodes. Would be correct to use ordinary (not very low ESR) capacitors next to the bridge and only after filters (CRC or CLC) better capacitors with small ESR?
Old 13th December 2003, 11:49 AM   #6
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

It is better and much cheaper to use multiple smaller caps than a few really large ones. A slew of 4x4700s is better than one 22000 by a long shot, lower ESR and higher ripple current. I like to put a cap right next to each output transistor if possible with a film bypass cap.
Old 13th December 2003, 01:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply

I have put 4X150.000 uF bypass with 9x2.200uF/63V URZA type of Nipon Chemicon, the results were fantastic.
Onother probes with small capacitors in concret 0.1 and 10 uf film I did not the previus results.

Angel
Old 19th December 2003, 02:10 PM   #8
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

In my personal experience, the bypass caps can create resonant circuits that create minute disortions that are passed on to the output stage and can -and usually are- mistaken to be treble and spatial information when all it really is.....is accentuated distortion.

The larger value the bypass cap, the better. The lower the number of bypass caps, the better. None is best. The idea of what capacitors to use must be re-addressed from the ground up. Then we might get somewhere, but also.. then.. the idea of how to implement a circuit must again be re-addressed from the ground up. Clean slate.

Careful control over the impedance in the pathways involving the bypass caps is critical to avoiding distortion created by the resonant circuit that WILL be in effect somewhere in that large 'dynamically changing' impedance that all audio bandwidth circuts encompass. It always happens... every time. Most folks cannot recognize it as such, because the rest of the situation must be cleared up to see that.. and that is a gargantuan enterprise, ivolving everything from the 120AC, all the way up to the room and your ears.

It can even take years to tune a single system to sound right. By that time, it's so sensitive to change -and showing the effects of change- that heisenberg seems to be at play.......

All I know is I will NEVER put a bypass cap in any piece of gear again. The sense of overall harmonic integrety that is achieved without such caps in the pathway (after much hard work!).... well it is so great to hear... so natural.. so easy to listen to... so relaxing...that I am sure you will agree as well.

But first, you must conquer that gargantuan task......
Old 19th December 2003, 04:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Great to hear your view,thanks.

Bartek
Old 19th December 2003, 04:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I share a similar POV (and observations): I will never add bypass cap again (unless in a digital circuit) as well. What initially seems like an improvement, eventually appears as smearing, coloration and artificiality.

Find a good cap and forget about bypasses.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!