How does the BOSOZ really sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive me, this is going to be a rather open ended thread (you guys probably get irritated with total newbies). I've searched the threads but could find little comparing how the BOSOZ sounds compared to commercially available products. I really enjoy the DIY process, and haven't the money to spend on any preamp resembling high end, but before indulging in such a project I'd like to know if it would get me alot closer to what im looking for sonically.
I replaced my old Sansui AU-D11 II integrated amp with an NAD C370, the Sansui had several issues because of its age and rough life, and didn't really work well with the way I wanted to set it up, but it really sounded good. The NAD in comparison sounds OK, but I really lost the midrange magic. Instead of the images feeling palpable, they seem drained. The soundstage is much bigger, but lacks the depth of the Sansui.
I thought upgrading the preamp would be a good start, and had looked at commercially available products like audio refinement and atoll, but started thinking of going the DIY route, found the pass labs site and this one and started getting excited. SOOOO, I invite anyone so generous to contribute their opinion about the sound of the BOSOZ to be as verbose as they want to.

Well, if it doesnt sound like anything, thats exactly what I'm looking for, not sounding like anything seems the pinnacle of what us crazy folk strive for. It begs the question though, if the BOSOZ doesn't sound like anything, and Mr. Pass says there are certainly better sounding preamps out there, does that mean that the BOSOZ doesnt sound like anything, but there are other preamps that sound less like anything? or the other preamps sound better in sounding like nothing? (thank you by the way, Mr. Pass for responding, even with such a "verbose" response, lol.)

...what is the difference between BOSOZ and x-Bosoz?

The BOSOZ or BZLS is the unmodified circuit provided by Mr. Pass
in his excellent article Balanced Zen Line Stage for the magazine
Audio Electronics - 5/97... and is available on the PassDiy website.

The X-BOSOZ is a modified BZLS incorporating Super Symmetry or X.
Check out the X-SOZ thread for more information.

The Aleph P was a Pass Labs preamp in production up until '97 or so.
Mr. Pass has mentioned that the BZLS and Aleph P are closely
related... one difference being the Aleph P's attenuator.

IMHO the BZLS is an excellent preamp - and has great "sound", others
on this Forum have stated that the Aleph P is better... probably
true - it is more refined and has the advantage of being a former
Pass Labs offering.

Well, since I havent even started the project, I could certainly go the x bosoz direction. I'm still attempting to educate myself on the basics. It seems most here would consider the x bosoz at a higher level than the bosoz, unless I am mistaken. If any link in the audio chain was to err, I'd rather it err on the warm side of course. As I am pouring over the details, am I to understand that it is fairly easy to modify a bosoz into and x bosoz?

My speakers are Signet 280B/U's, which I've had for 10 years, but will probably be the very last things I upgrade, If I ever do. They are just ridiculously good for the $600 I paid for them, It's a shame they are no longer in production; I'm sure they will have no trouble showing any improvements to any components. One question I have is, are there some basic audio electronics tutorials that I could read to give me sort of a foundation of knowlege to work with? I mean, I know what a cap, resistor and pot are, but am still confused by some of the graphics and terminology of these projects, tweaking a crossover and replacing a fuse is about as advanced as I've done up to know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.