Starting to build my first F5 Turbo V3 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2013, 12:57 PM   #41
2bz is offline 2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
It seems to me that if you are buying JimsAudio's boards, he should be the one helping with the build.
I didn't know there was an issue with Jims Audio, proir to buying the boards. If they were available at the diy store, at the time of purchase, I certainly would have gone in that direction.

Maybe there should be a sticky about which sources are approved/not approved?
Old 15th June 2013, 01:13 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to point out to anyone watching that the store has boards to facilitate the design that was created by Nelson. I know many folks dont realize that Jim is basically pirating this stuff, so thought it worth mentioning. It would seem reasonable to assume that any design you see that originated on this forum should be acquired through the forum if possible. It facilitates the growth of this website and increases potential for other to find the site and begin to enjoy audio with full support and not just a one off sale. You are doing a excellent job with your build and will find lots of help here if you need it. Jim's, not so much.
Old 16th June 2013, 05:47 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

There is really no need for a sticky. If it isnt available through the store or from approved members in the group buy or swap meet sections, (or Nelson's site of course) its pirated.

Russellc
Old 16th June 2013, 07:49 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Looks like two centipedes on my kitchen table. I have everything exept the preamp fets (2sj74 / 2sk170). I can find Toshiba 74s and Panasonic 170s. Does it matter if I mix and match manufacturers? Or is there an acceptable substitute for these discountinued transistors of equivilant quality and performance?

BTW, I ended up fabbing a 2" square copper cold plate for the bridge rectifiers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.jpg (1,000.2 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2123.jpg (986.1 KB, 442 views)
Old 16th June 2013, 08:40 PM   #45
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bz View Post
I have everything exept the preamp fets (2sj74 / 2sk170). I can find Toshiba 74s and Panasonic 170s. Does it matter if I mix and match manufacturers?
Panasonic made a 2SK170?

?

Anyway, all K170/J74 on Ebay are fakes. Sorry.

Contact member 'Spencer' or use his website fetaudio.com and buy from him. They are genuine.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:12 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Anyway, all K170/J74 on Ebay are fakes. Sorry.
Sadly, I agree with 6L6, with a 99 44/100's % certainty, your transistors probably are rip-off's, restamped as 170's and 74's. A quality class A amp with demanding power loads is not the place to use fakes.

You've populated the PCBs nicely..... Unfortunately, how are you desoldering skills? (If you want to remove your power MOSFETS, best to cut their leads and then put each lead from the PCB while applying heat. You'll trash the semiconductors [not much use, anyway] but chances are you can save the PCBs) d:
Old 16th June 2013, 10:38 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
Sadly, I agree with 6L6, with a 99 44/100's % certainty, your transistors probably are rip-off's, restamped as 170's and 74's. A quality class A amp with demanding power loads is not the place to use fakes.

I don't have these yet. Still searching.

You've populated the PCBs nicely..... Unfortunately, how are you desoldering skills? (If you want to remove your power MOSFETS, best to cut their leads and then put each lead from the PCB while applying heat. You'll trash the semiconductors [not much use, anyway] but chances are you can save the PCBs) d:
I guess I am missing your point. Everything on these boards came from Digikey or Arrow.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:42 PM   #48
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

2bz - Where did you get your matched output transistors?
Old 16th June 2013, 10:50 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
2bz - Where did you get your matched output transistors?
Arrow. All the same date and mfg lot codes. I built a Vgs tester and matched them myself.
Old 17th June 2013, 03:46 AM   #50
sibbeli is offline sibbeli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I would like buy matched psirs from you as i am building this amp too in a while, mu first amp. What do you want for them? Check postal to sweden snd drop me a pm. I want 8 pairs matched as i am trying to reach 150w/channel. // Mathias

Hide this!Advertise here!