BA-3 As Preamp

Joined 2000
Paid Member
A bit of advice - the pot will take the place of R2 on the PCB, input to the junction of R1/R2, output to the Jfet Gates and then connect the pot to ground. A little surgery or creative thinking will be needed for those connections. Nelson has suggested keeping R1, as it's there to stop parasitic oscillation.

Just this part. Its OK, but I don't get it. :). I tried to visualize it, but without cutting traces or removing R1 and R2 and connecting them off PCB, I don't think it will work.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A little progress today. The most important thing was getting to my buddy's shop and using his mill to cut the hole for the IEC connector. The back panel needs only to be wired.

The transformer is a 120VA 20+20V Shielded Antek. Because of this I will use a LM317/337 regulator from TubeCad. Also the rotary AC switch and selector are from TubeCad. Very, very nice pieces. There are a number of good 'building blocks' available there. both low- and high-voltage.

The Attenuator is a series stepped Goldpoint with Dale RN60 resistors.

I have yet to make the final order to Mouser for components, that is why the preamp PCB is not currently installed.

IMG_2249_2.jpg

IMG_2250_2.jpg

IMG_2251_2.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Neville -- Galaxy 388 (3mm Front) - Compact with Quasi Heatsinks - Chassis

Vince - I'm going to try placing the R1 resistor in the output of the pot (attenuator). Probably right at the PCB. It's a gatestopper shared by both input Jfets, so hopefully should work. I will have photos when I wire it.

Choky - I don't have the necessary hardware for the shaft extension and internal switch/potentiometer mounts and such. I do like the idea, however. :)

Last edited: