BA-3 As Preamp

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is it possible to use the BA-3 front-end as a pre-amp? I think I read it can, but can't find the reference.

Has anyone used it as pre-amp and do you have any impressions on the sound? I'm currently using a BOZ-J and would like a bit more drive for a bi-amp setup running the L'amp CCS and a F5.

Thanks,

Vince

Note:

If using Fairchild mosfets, use 1K variable resistors for P1 and P2.

Volume control- 20K to 50K

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Is it possible to use the BA-3 front-end as a pre-amp? I think I read it can, but can't find the reference.

Has anyone used it as pre-amp and do you have any impressions on the sound? I'm currently using a BOZ-J and would like a bit more drive for a bi-amp setup running the L'amp CCS and a F5.

Thanks,

Vince

It was the intention of the people starting with the Burning Amp series that the Burning Anp should be used in a modular way means mixing allowed of frontends and outputstages, wasn't it Mark himself mentioning this...

I look for the sources...:)

I found it....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201281-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced-34.html#post3175072

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it isn't changed , "except" introducing bridge resistor ( each halve serving as virtual gnd to other one)

be sure to have bleeder resistors after output caps ; as drawn , FE is part of amp itself , so they aren't necessary

when stage used/packed standalone , they must be implemented

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
After reading (links ZM posted) I have a question: As ZM told for the FE application you need bigger voltage swing, so like ~30V rail, but people are suggest to power BA-3 from the same PSU they use for F4. Will a separate PSU which give ~30V rail be suitable for either applications of BA-3: FE(for F4) and preamp other FW amp?