BA-3 As Preamp

Ikebana.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 918
Balanced killed some of it, but you can tell some remains. In truth the final version will probably be trimmed for lowest distortion, or st the least, similar 2k and 3k. Don't have time to fiddle for a while. Just wanted to get it playing. Right now have 100R between sides. I will bump that to 150-200. Little more degeneration of FE. The final version will probably have ZVP/ZVN4424 in the output. Look at the curves. What big transistor does it remind you of?

This project will branch into power amp FE and preamp. Preamp might be standard SUSY or other options, like no feedback folded cascode. Haven't decided really. My thinking is that I want the preamp as low noise and distortion free as possible without clamping the sound. Thinking I want the power amp to provide the color.

The Toshibas can take a lot more heat with these sinks. It will be interesting to watch THD spectra varying VAS bias up and down. BA3 seems to be pushing character of amp onto VAS. Intentional or even true, dunno yet.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
.......... My thinking is that I want the preamp as low noise and distortion free as possible without clamping the sound. Thinking I want the power amp to provide the color...........

The BA-3 frontend especially in balanced mode fulfills your wishes... I never had such a low distortion than with BA-3,even unbalanced, and with a source follower output. (F4 like)
The M2 xformer has higher distortion.

I am realizing after hearing this, how little gain I need, and that us with 87-88dB speakers. J River tells me original signal is 30-35dB down at pretty loud listening levels. Folded cascode FE gives low gain, from what I have read. I think someone said it is basically like a current transfer stage. FE Jfets largely determine the gain of the circuit. Supposedly very stable configuration, so feedback is not needed. I may not need any gain out of Preamp at all, with 5-6dB being plenty, but 10-15 will be my target. You know how things are, that may change ten times:D

@ZM, i did sense thing only becaus wit was simple. Abbraxalito has little blog about corcuit. I dropped the output stage of shunty and jut used TL431 and pass transistor. Main reason is ease of board drawing:D