BA-3 As Preamp

Back in 2005 at the urging of NP and JC and others here on DIYA, I stocked up and bought a bunch of 2sk389, 2sj109, 2sk170, and 2sj74 all in BL grade plus some in GR. They cost very little at the time.

However, in the fullness of time I have found that although I build and experiment with lots of amplifier and preamplifier circuits, that these parts recycle nicely if they're treated carefully. So only a small number of my stash is in use at any given time.

The only reason for buying many is for matching.

If these people at FETAudio are selling matched sets, and if you calculate how many parts you actually have in use at any given time (RIAA+preamp+amp+under active construction), and you recycle carefully, then at current prices you will spend less money than I did in 2005 for the hundreds and hundreds of parts I bought.

So it's probably a bargain. I'll close by repeating what Nelson has said all along as the price has continually gone up and the availability has continually gone down: "Get them while you can".

G

P.S. A couple of years ago I told my wife about my stash and about the rising Toshiba JFET prices. She immediately decided that I should sell off and take her on a vacation. I no longer give her pricing updates.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Use 10uF Silmic in the electrolytic positions... :) It's easy, inexpensive, and they sound great.

As for film cap, the Audyn 10uF MKP fit, and probably the lower-voltage Solen, but many will overhang the PCB. This isn't a problem, just use whatever you want in that position, having caps that are too big isn't that much of an issue.

Hi,

It seems my boards have shipped, so I guess it's time to
start gathering parts.

Does anyone know what is the maximum size output caps
that can be used on the board? Or if you have a specific
recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dennis

You can see mine in post #355. 400V/8.2uf Clarity Cap SA. Barely fit. They overhang the boards and the leads were just long enough. And they are pretty close to the top of the case. They are 46mm L x 45mm high.

I'd look at 250V caps...they should be smaller. Hard to find really good 250V caps though. Most are 400V/600V.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Does anyone have success with 10uf electro bypass with 1uf film?
Does this really work well?

I built one with a friend, it has 10uF Nichicon KW and a mil-surplus 0.33uF MKC bypass. (MKC = Polycarbonate, now unobtanium) SOund quality is wonderful.

Was planning 10uf elna or silmic with 1uf mundorf supreme since I have a pair
That sounds great!