Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

BA-3 As Preamp
BA-3 As Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2018, 01:47 AM   #1311
KevinHeem is offline KevinHeem  United States
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
In Jim's video for adjusting P3, watch as the the scope shows second harmonic go from being "in phase" to "out of phase" as he turns the pot. The spectrum analyzers were talking about here show the harmonics in relationship to the fundamental, but I don't really have handle on whether I'm adjusting the second harmonic in phase or out of phase with the others, or how much it really matters. This is something I would like to see cleared up in an "adjusting P3" thread.

I have a 2i2 also...when I get a chance I'll post pictures of the connections I've used in the past. Not saying they're correct, but I have had some results.

Maybe someone should start that new thread so we can post there.
Old 11th July 2018, 02:51 AM   #1312
drpro is offline drpro  United States
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
Kevin earlier this year I also purchased a 2i2 and chose to adjust P3 for the second harmonic to going negative phase. I have tried it both ways and personally cannot really tell a difference, but then my ears are old and have tinnitus!!
Old 11th July 2018, 03:02 AM   #1313
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
Drpro and KevinHeem, this is great. we will all have the same unit. I will be the dumbest one in the room, but I am a quick study....I will try to get this thing here pronto.

Russellc
Old 11th July 2018, 04:51 PM   #1314
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
To avoid further off topic. I have started a P3 adjustment specific thread. Please feel free to comment and add info. See "P3 Adjustment for the Common Hobbist"

Russellc
Old 14th July 2018, 08:54 AM   #1315
MEPER is online now MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have 4 of these Pete Millett PCBs and components:
Regulated DC filament supply
I have component values suggested by Pete to upgrade it to a 24V supply. Do you think such supplies are noise free enough to be used as +-24V DC supplies for the BA-3 preamp or other preamps?

It was for a 300B project where I ended up using Rod Coleman regulators so I have 4 of these Pete Millett PCBs I want to use for something. I will probably put the regulator on an external heatsink and then maybe design it for 1A 24V which should be sufficient for most preamps?
Old 14th July 2018, 01:29 PM   #1316
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

BA-3 As Preamp
MEPER - Yes, the Millett regulators will work wonderfully! Pete makes outstanding stuff.
Old 14th July 2018, 01:36 PM   #1317
diyAudio Member

Ok.....if I design carefully so there is only 2V or so drop over the regulator not much heat will be dissipated so the PCB mounted heatsink can work. The regulator uses Schottky diodes which is nice. Also I have the common mode chokes which is nice too…..then I will probably built a couple of 2 x 24V external supplies that can be used for preamps.
Old 14th July 2018, 01:43 PM   #1318
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
one always must count on mains voltage tolerances/fluctuations

so , what when mains go down 10% ?
Old 14th July 2018, 02:01 PM   #1319
diyAudio Member

Yes, there must be some tolerances......but 10% is a lot. 230 VAC …...goes down to 210 VAC. I think the mains is more stable where I live. So if I design with 3-4 volt over the regulator I hope to be safe. It can regulate at 1.25 V diff. Don't hope the mains can go 10% up. Have to look at the C/W of the heatsink...….
Old 14th July 2018, 02:11 PM   #1320
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

BA-3 As Preamp
just saying what's proper engineering praxis

BA-3 As PreampHide this!Advertise here!