Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

BA-3 As Preamp
BA-3 As Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2017, 12:09 AM   #1221
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

BA-3 As Preamp
Place a couple of Kohm across the output, it makes setting bias a lot easier.
Old 19th March 2017, 02:08 AM   #1222
dimkasta is offline dimkasta  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thanks mate

How come? Does it make the change faster?
Old 19th March 2017, 02:38 AM   #1223
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

BA-3 As Preamp
I just remember that it was easier with a load, it's been a while since I've messed with one on the bench...
Old 19th March 2017, 03:28 PM   #1224
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Thanks mate

How come? Does it make the change faster?
Dont forget to short the inputs. Big difference in DC offset.

nash
Old 19th March 2017, 05:01 PM   #1225
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=dimkasta;5023624]Here we go. Some progress.

The pre seems to bias nicely even with random unmatched 610/9610. I am using them for tests so that I do not blow my matched Toshibas.

BTW I really hate how twitchy the pots are (Currently using 1k).

I finally go tired of this and came up with the following:

Having experimented with different bias levels and the resulting sound I found that a bias level of around 50ma sounded best to me. Besides 60ma was producing too much heat. I measured the pots P1 and P2(+ to end of R6 not joined to R8 for P1, and - to R7 for P2). I re-measured the pots after removing P1 and P2 from the boards. In my case with R6 being 56R I measured around 348R for P2 and around 6R higher for P1, this with very well matched Toshiba's.

I then installed a CMF 55 348R resistor in place of P2 on the board. For P1 I replaced it with a 20R pot in series with a 348R resistor since I wanted a measure of adjustability. Since this has to be in parallel with C1 (otherwise the AC gain of the amp is affected) I bent the pin of the pot closest to R6 so that it wrapped upwards along the pot, soldered the 348R resistor to it, wrapped it around the pot and now made that end of the resistor effectively the third pin of the pot. I also put a bit of insulating material at the bottom of the pot to prevent any contact between the resistor and the pot pin that was bent.

DC offset setting is so easy now. And you get similar results the next day after you have switched it off which never happened before. And there is plenty of adjustability. One turn of a 20R multiturn pot is around 0.65R and I find that you get around a 60mv offset change from just 1 turn. A 500R pot is around 16.5R per turn. No wonder it is so twitchy. I just did this mod a week ago. Maybe it even sounds slightly more detailed. The only change in DC offset I am now expecting is with a change in room ambient temperature.

nash
Old 25th September 2017, 08:44 AM   #1226
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=nashbap;5024290]
Quote:
Here we go. Some progress.

The pre seems to bias nicely even with random unmatched 610/9610. I am using them for tests so that I do not blow my matched Toshibas.

BTW I really hate how twitchy the pots are (Currently using 1k).

I finally go tired of this and came up with the following:

Having experimented with different bias levels and the resulting sound I found that a bias level of around 50ma sounded best to me. Besides 60ma was producing too much heat. I measured the pots P1 and P2(+ to end of R6 not joined to R8 for P1, and - to R7 for P2). I re-measured the pots after removing P1 and P2 from the boards. In my case with R6 being 56R I measured around 348R for P2 and around 6R higher for P1, this with very well matched Toshiba's.

I then installed a CMF 55 348R resistor in place of P2 on the board. For P1 I replaced it with a 20R pot in series with a 348R resistor since I wanted a measure of adjustability. Since this has to be in parallel with C1 (otherwise the AC gain of the amp is affected) I bent the pin of the pot closest to R6 so that it wrapped upwards along the pot, soldered the 348R resistor to it, wrapped it around the pot and now made that end of the resistor effectively the third pin of the pot. I also put a bit of insulating material at the bottom of the pot to prevent any contact between the resistor and the pot pin that was bent.

DC offset setting is so easy now. And you get similar results the next day after you have switched it off which never happened before. And there is plenty of adjustability. One turn of a 20R multiturn pot is around 0.65R and I find that you get around a 60mv offset change from just 1 turn. A 500R pot is around 16.5R per turn. No wonder it is so twitchy. I just did this mod a week ago. Maybe it even sounds slightly more detailed. The only change in DC offset I am now expecting is with a change in room ambient temperature.

nash

Which points are you using to read DC offset..a pic would be helpful.

Cheers
Old 4th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #1227
diyAudio Member

I don't think a photo would help since I am using my own pcbs, but it should be quite easy to do
DC is measured between the output before the Capacitor (inside lead of the cap) and ground
Old 4th October 2017, 11:48 AM   #1228
diyAudio Member

Here is a photo if it helps. You should be able to extrapolate where to attach the probes on your pcb.
The probes closer to the cap measure offset (back side of cap and output return)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cvb.jpg (950.4 KB, 226 views)
Old 4th October 2017, 12:07 PM   #1229
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is a photo if it helps. You should be able to extrapolate where to attach the probes on your pcb.

The probes closer to the cap measure offset (back side of cap and output return)

Thank you so much for reverting, meanwhile I used the 330R resistor (R13 as per schematic), put probes around it an set DC offset...Have biased the amp to about 80%, will use it for some time then attempt a full bias...
Old 4th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #1230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsthakur View Post
Thank you so much for reverting, meanwhile I used the 330R resistor (R13 as per schematic), put probes around it an set DC offset...Have biased the amp to about 80%, will use it for some time then attempt a full bias...
Yes sounds correct. R13 is connected to the back of cap and output return

BA-3 As PreampHide this!Advertise here!