Aleph 1000 design stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since a lot of the bottlenecks have been ironed out I am ready to move to the next phase of this journey. Heat sinks are no issue, this whole amp (amp alone no p/s) will easily fit in a cheap rack mount, I now need to address parts. Specs are this: Rails= +200- (400v). Idle dissapation will be 4500watts per side. I do like the isotop mosfets, though I am not sure if they would be suitable for this build. So what am I gonna need besides wire and soldier? All suggestions welcome, and appreciated :D

Also, if an sit-1/250 could share the outputs somehow, or anything, with the aleph, this would be remarkable, and it's what I want to hear. I dont need 2000wpc amp, For me I need a small one. Im sure others in the world want the big one, and badly! Can we do both at 1 time? I do know both will fit in that cheap rack....even if they were totally seperate. The sit-1/250 could be a later project too.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Single-ended Class A is a natural fit for lower power amplifiers, and push-pull
is appropriate to high power amplifiers.

I suggest you look at the simplified schematic of the Aleph 0, which would
allow you to combine low power single-ended bias with a more powerful
push-pull output stage.

:cool:

Attachments

• simp aleph0.gif
    simp aleph0.gif
    27 KB · Views: 451
Is it because I would need more than one gain stage? I already have the power supply spec, and price. Heat is not an issue. Can it be done?

I will look into the option but then I think we are looking at 1000's of watts rms, 5,000?
Thank you kindly master.

This aleph is my dream.

Take it to the limit

I will take this to the finish line, I have done a ton of research of what "can be", and now is time to show the world the real aleph 1000. At this point I don't care If I have to sell something or everything to achive the goal. To show the world what they have missed. Even if was for only recognition.

Yes, I do have a desire, to actually show the world what they have missed. I'm called crazy, "it's not worth it", why?

Simple, I was told by the creator, to build again, make something. I guess it never occoured that someone would push the limits set by convention. I never think with a calculator, I think of the "what if", To shake up the audio world, make them need "depends", and they will need them. I can do anything I set my mind to, a research expert as well.

Im ready to prove myself, and show the world, what they have missed all there lives. To give everyone that want's it "live".. To bring high power audio to the next level, like the world has never seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!, dare to dream, and dream to live. In the end, I will deserve some recognition, as a guy who thinks outside the engineers mindset "box". Hopefully I get the "GLORY!" That I will deserve..... Push the limit, rush limelight. now. Be youreself and rock ON!!!

To boldy go where no man has gone before... Bring it on! You will all be the winners!

You know where the avitar is going..................

Last edited:
I don't need a fire ex. I wanna set the audio world on fire, and I've got the water to put it out. Call me sick or insane, but a 2000wpc aleph??? Really/// Hopefully I don't get death threats from anyone, cause the GAME IS OVER! They are all done for.... Pretty much any other company will wanna pay ransome. Gimme credit to push the limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Pass kicks azz. Wait untill stereophile gets this to play with for a month....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BYOGH = Bring your own garden hose............... Oh hell yeah

Last edited:
Single-ended Class A is a natural fit for lower power amplifiers, and push-pull
is appropriate to high power amplifiers.

I suggest you look at the simplified schematic of the Aleph 0, which would
allow you to combine low power single-ended bias with a more powerful
push-pull output stage.

:cool:
We are bad azz builders, you wanna set-1/250, (and the /250 has to do with the 16kw you quoted per side, so 250, 1/4 of my cap) I got 4500wpc to burn. nothing to do with the future, you are a genius, like einstien, Let's set the audio world on their heads. Slammem hard!! Before my new avitar..

i dont know for sure.... but wont gate capacitance become a issue?

heat, power supply cost etc aside. will it sound anygood?

howmany fets would you need in parrell to make it work? with the gate caps adding up what will the bandwith be? will the frontend drive the output?

im all for a huge amp! but i would hate for you to do this and have it not work or sound like poo.

i dont know for sure.... but wont gate capacitance become a issue?

heat, power supply cost etc aside. will it sound anygood?

howmany fets would you need in parrell to make it work? with the gate caps adding up what will the bandwith be? will the frontend drive the output?

im all for a huge amp! but i would hate for you to do this and have it not work or sound like poo.

I think that is why we are all here, to help each other. I envisioned only 12 per side using isotop mosfets, using those could change everything. In my other thread, I mentioned it also, fewer might be better. I will have to look into gate cap. I'm not going to build it tomorrow, but I am going to do it when it is all ironed out.

If I was told from the start it could not be done I would have bailed, but nobody said it couldn't. If it can be done, and sound good, beyond good, then isn't the "dream" worth it? If you build it they will come, it's true. And dream I do!!!! Thanks for the concern, maybe it needs some more research, but in this day and age almost anything is possible... Rock ON!!!

Last edited:
Those tdk lambda power supplies are sweet, 35mv ripple! But 6700 a pop for the 10kw is kinda over the top. The 2u series would have been perfect if I could live with 150+-. Conventional single phase here is not practical.

I actually got to talk to the father in law yesterday, after I called the power company asking about 3 phase. He asked "how many wires are there on the top of the pole, the ones with insulators?" I said 1. He then said find out where there is 3, and that is where they would have to start wiring from. OMG! 2 miles! Can't wait untill the met ed guy calls with a quote, that ought to be interesting... Sir that 10kw 3 phase line is going to cost you 1.5 million, will that be credit or certified check?

I know people who have 3ph. at their own company, but here it would have to be generator or windmill, havent got the right plug yet to go into the avitar. So, heatsink problem eliminated, power supply torroid style 3ph 2-3K custom. Tdk style 13.5k. I think I'll take the 3ph custom (thanks rodeodave!). Now it's just the 50 pound amp. Ampzilla of the 21st century!

I do hope one day Mr Pass gets to hear an sit-1/250, if I had the parts I would make it for him and I would buy the garden hose. And that application could use the 2u genysys which is cheaper, and they have the variable fans. That whole amp could be carried with the power supplies by 1 person, heck I want to hear it too! Smile

Last edited:
I have coffee in my hand

But this time I have a gallon jug of water next to it. I got a lot done yesterday around the house and a lot more to do today, ebay etc. But at some point you run out of things to sell. I need a job. I will do some more research now, like how to calculate the final voltage of a 3ph 5kw torroid after rectification. Why? They want to know the output volts of the custom design, I know it changes after rectification and I don't know the effects a couple of caps could have on the voltage either. I guess I could unplug the ps on the aleph 3 to find out. Gimme credit, Im no engineer but am learning more and more daily, the auto tech with the "dream". Gate capacitance now

http://robots.freehostia.com/SpeedControl/MosfetBody.html good reading material

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Heat sinks are no issue
this whole amp (amp alone no p/s) will easily fit in a cheap rack mount... Idle dissapation will be 4500watts per side.

Ok, ya lost me there -- how on earth is 9000w of rejected heat no issue to your heatsinks? Was there a photo posted that I missed? Or a diagram, or at least a description of your heatsink ideas?

And when you say fit in a cheap rack mount, do you mean the entire 6 foot tall rack?

Ok, ya lost me there -- how on earth is 9000w of rejected heat no issue to your heatsinks? Was there a photo posted that I missed? Or a diagram, or at least a description of your heatsink ideas?

And when you say fit in a cheap rack mount, do you mean the entire 6 foot tall rack?

1/2 rack, you can carry all of it yourself. Oh yeah, the garden hose... Read the original coffee woodstock aleph 1000 thread. Hey I have heatsinks that are .001 deg C/W without liquid nitrogen, look at my avitar, this is no joke. Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really changes the world, axis is tipping like my amp on passdiy front page aleph 3

The pen is mightier than a sword, take 'em down, GAME OVER!

Who am I? Just a broken mechanic with a good head....

Last edited:
9000W of rejected heat

Quicky estimate : 8 forced convection 5''x10''x12'' duct heatsinks, and 16 times a 115cfm fan at 16.5ft/s air speed.
~ 53dB for a single fan, plus 12dB added for the stack of 16, makes 65dB.
Has the bonus of not requiring an amp at all :clown:

(or two liquid heat plates, and 1000ft of hose, Mr Perry has a neighbor with lots of water at 150 yards distance)

Robert is just in need of a bit of talk, and daydreaming is free.
What better place than here.

Quicky estimate : 8 forced convection 5''x10''x12'' duct heatsinks, and 16 times a 115cfm fan at 16.5ft/s air speed.
~ 53dB for a single fan, plus 12dB added for the stack of 16, makes 65dB.
Has the bonus of not requiring an amp at all :clown:

(or two liquid heat plates, and 1000ft of hose, Mr Perry has a neighbor with lots of water at 150 yards distance)

Robert is just in need of a bit of talk, and daydreaming is free.
What better place than here.

Fans make noise, garden hose, nope. And thanks for saving my life :p I got water 20 ft away, and a sump pump that can do 8000 gph

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.