Aleph3 DC Turbo Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
n3szd is offline n3szd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph3 DC Turbo Project

Im new to this forum, hope im welcome as well. 12 years ago I built my own aleph3 with the help of some real nice people at pass labs, now it is featured at pass diy, front page. You probably can't imagine how happy and proud I am right now. I know I messed up when I made it, I didn't know anything except I wanted something real nice, one of a kind. I thought the cooler you ran an electrical device the better. So I went overboard on the heatsinks. .07 deg. c. per w. Well, I had found out later that heat helps the devices, so I put variable resistors on the 24v dc fans and ran them as slow as possible, it was too cold. When I first made this I was going to make it dc powered, as the rail voltages lend themselves to that possibility. It was too expensive... But now, 12 years after I made it I want to go all out with what I have and can modify. I can, with the fans, safely dissapate 450w per side, I know the irf 244's cant take it, hey I'm willing to do what it takes to make the 30 wpc aleph3 dc turbo. I wanna build again. This time skys the limit, and suggestions?

Last edited by n3szd; 13th April 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

why dc? well my klipches are 104 dbw, concert levels with this amp and it never distorts for some reason, at least I can't hear it. This issue is the ac hum, while low (you would never hear it at any volume level) it is apparent at idle, probably due to no feedback and sensitive speakers. I've got a mini club in my basement, I like it loud and clear and powerful as well. Those 2 svs pc13 ultra dsp slege 1000's really bring this to my liking. However on a humid day they weld my door to upstairs shut to the point I have to kick the door open. yep. no lie. I love quality and want to further explore options that may have never been explored, why? Maybe it's to go where no man has gone before... Iv'e also heard you can make your dreams a reality, and if you build it they will come.. I don't know if it is feasable, but if it is im all in!

Last edited by n3szd; 13th April 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 13th April 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I love my new avitar, it combines burning amp festival with my intentions.... I really hope this can be done!
Old 13th April 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I want to attend if I got the $$$ never been to cali....
Old 13th April 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Can a tride set withstand 150 db? I mean can the tube itself live? I do want to build an set, 10w is good...
Old 13th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #6
The one and only

Drinking a lot of coffee this morning?

I interpret 150 dB as acoustic level. I believe that value would probably be
fatal to you and the average triode.

Old 13th April 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, I like to jamb. Im guessing 150 only because it feels like your getting hit by a boxer. You really cannot see straight, I have to put everything on non slip pads. My 50# printer fell off my desk. Maybe 140 db, but I do think it's more.. More coffee
Old 13th April 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

there is no tube , of which vacuum can compete with hollowness of human scull

Old 13th April 2013, 06:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
there is no tube , of which vacuum can compete with hollowness of human scull

ok, you lost me. Yes vaccuum is good for components, but even in space you are at risk of getting hit by something. Seems to me the logical solution is that tubes have a physical limit to impact, aleph3 dc turbo would not have an issue.
Old 13th April 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

honestly, everyone who has ever came here swears that the performers are in my basement live with full marshall stacks. LIVE! It's like being in a concert hall, but louder and clearer. I love quality

Hide this!Advertise here!