Beginner's Build Guide: Pearl II - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 09:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

What voltage are the electrolytics in your PSU? Just trying to make sure the higher voltage from your secondaries will not blow them within a short span of time. I had 40V ones first, but the 39V rectified voltage in my PSU (from 24V secondaries) was too close to their limit for me, so I exchanged them for 63V ones.
Old 9th April 2013, 09:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellerman View Post
What voltage are the electrolytics in your PSU? Just trying to make sure the higher voltage from your secondaries will not blow them within a short span of time. I had 40V ones first, but the 39V rectified voltage in my PSU (from 24V secondaries) was too close to their limit for me, so I exchanged them for 63V ones.
I am pretty sure they are 50v, but will check.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:43 AM   #13
omishra is offline omishra  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsjhs99 View Post
This will be my last post for a bit. The next steps were to put together the pcb, and do the wiring.

In this pic, your ground isolator (made from rectifier bridge block) is that missing one link? I am talking black wire from IEC socket lands at it but its diagonal pin is not shorted with that black wired pin. May be there but I could not see in the pic clearly.
Best luck!
Old 10th April 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for checking--it is there, but barely visible. I will put in a better picture.
Old 11th April 2013, 02:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

A few additional pictures of the power supply wiring, and one of the result--this is the voltage at what will be the power jack for the Pearl II box. No excuses now, have to start on the amplifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0431.jpg (645.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0432.jpg (706.4 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0433.jpg (607.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0436.jpg (580.8 KB, 205 views)
Old 11th April 2013, 02:37 AM   #16
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

With the black lead of your DMM on the black (GND) of your PSU output, measuring DC volts, verify that you have +35v to your red out (V+) and -35v to your green out (V-).

If so, continue to the regulator portion of the RIAA boards.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:09 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

One more small step--many fewer (if not zero) mistakes with this one. Slightly bent case around drill holes lead to rca plugs not exactly straight. One dremel oops around xlr jack. Really, not bad compared to power supply case. Also put in holes for pcb and terminal block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0439.jpg (950.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 13th April 2013, 04:45 AM   #18
omishra is offline omishra  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsjhs99 View Post
One more small step--many fewer (if not zero) mistakes with this one. Slightly bent case around drill holes lead to rca plugs not exactly straight. One dremel oops around xlr jack. Really, not bad compared to power supply case. Also put in holes for pcb and terminal block.
Nice! If you want to straighten the holes of RCA then use 10mm nut bolt with two thick washers around holes. Remove RCA sockets and use these nut bolt washers. Just tight it around each hole to make it straight. Or additionally use plier to make it (bolt) exact vertical to surface. Refit the rca sockets again. This will protect coating on the surface too.

Last edited by omishra; 13th April 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 13th April 2013, 05:30 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for this and your website--excellent.

I too have come back and forth to this site. Made my first interconnects and speaker wires and now just want to keep building something.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. dB View Post
Is there any particular harm in leaving the RC snubbers in place on the Chipamps power supply board?
Sorry, I should have responded, at least to say I don't know. One thing I have thought of doing in the future is redoing the psu without using a pcb, just to experiment with this sort of question. I would like to know also. There are long threads on this, but when I looked at them I did not understand them. Here is one that directly addresses the question: Sound Quality from Snubbers.

Hide this!Advertise here!