uh hello. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading with great interest. I thought I would say hello and post a pic of my enhanced Forte' model 3 that just had a make-over. . .I think you can see the difference. . .Great sounding, very powerful amp that I use to drive a MINT pair of JBL L-112s. . .The Forte' gets all the good from the JBLs. . .I will ask questions and comment from time to time so Hello My name is Guy and I'm a Audioholic. . .:xeye:

Attachments

• forte- hotrod-1a.jpg
    forte- hotrod-1a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 348
One more time

I dont understand why my pic is not comming up unless its related to my status as a newcomer. . .I will try one more time at a smaller size. . .I think my preferences are corect. . .I do this on another similiar forum. . .Here goes. . .

Once More Time

The picture is in "My Pictures" on my computer. . .I post it and because I am new my post remains in "Moderation" for several hours. there is a link that allows me to view the post and it shows the pic. However when the post comes out of "Moderation" the pic is missing. I have read in your "Troubleshooting" section about this issue happening to other new members and was eventually cured. I will try one more time. Please bear with me untill I am able to post at will or get enough experience under my belt to solve this problem. . . .Thanks)____________(Guy

Wow. . ., . .

I think I will owe everyone an explanation. . . When I posted my first post I was put in Moderation as every new member. . .When the post came out and no picture I thought I had done something wrong so I kept posting pics. . .Looks like they might all show up at once. Believe me I am proud of this amp but not that proud. . .Please forgive my eagerness to get started. . . . .:cannotbe: :smash:

Now at Normal. . .

I see the over see-ers took the excessive pictures out. at least someone was thinking, it was not me.
Now I will say Hello again. . .I am interested in whats going on here even if I dont understand much of it. I have a lot to learn and what better way than to learn from the best in their field. I look forward to adding to the discussion when I can and its appropiate to do so. Mostly I enjoy reading your back and forth discussions.

Easy. . . . .

"Don't feel bad. I don't know how to work this thing either."

Thanks for the kind words. . . Let me tell you what I had done to the model 3 Forte'. This is a list prepared by the "Fixer" when he repaired my amp.
"Forte’ Model 3 enhanced” 10-18-03
1) Replaced the stock 700 VA toroidal with two 600VA units for dual mono operation.
(Actually I checked the original Toroid, it was only 1 volt lower than the ones I put in).
2) Replaced the 12000mfd per side (24000 total) capacitance to 40,000mfd per side (80,000 total). The replaced caps are superior grade Cornell Dubilier 100 volt types (stock were 45/90 volt types).
3) Replaced the two 25 amp bridge rectifiers with 50amp parts.
4) Performance was enhanced to Dual mono, power into 8 ohms from 200 to 250 watts and 4 ohms from 300 to 410 watts.
Turn on rush will be about the same as the 565 you have. The 565 have about 70,000 to 75000 mfd's while the Forte has 80,000 mfd's.
The Forte can be used with a Variac to up the voltage without any problems (i.e. 140 volts AC instead of 120) in such a mode, it will give you about 380 watts RMS into 8 ohms. That means it will act like 2 565's. However in that mode it should not be driven into 2 ohms whilst the 565 can. Under normal voltages, the Forte CAN be paired up with 2-ohm loads. (i.e. 120v ac not 140 v ac)
Caution: Do not try to up the voltage on any Adcom, you will fry the outputs. They are rated at 90-0-90 volts DC Max while the ones in the Forte are rated at 100-0-100 volts DC. (The nominal rails on the Forte is about 79-0-79 and after you up the AC side to 140VAC, the DC rails will go up to 92-0-92) as you can see at 92-0-92, the Adcom's outputs will blow yet the Forte's will be OK.
Funny thing, Toshiba invented the perforated emitter technology and came up with the devices used in the Adcoms (D424/B554) then sold it to Motorola. The replacement devices that Toshiba made were the first "Super-Beta" devices i.e. do not lose current drive into lower impedance’s, and these are what are used in the Forte's (A1302/C3281).
Infact many Luxman, Carver, Sunfire etc. amps use these same devices. They have the reputation in the industry to keep constant distortion even into lower impedance.
Well, by virtue of installing 2 toroids instead of 1, the amp will clip at higher levels than before because the 2 Toroids can give more current than 1. So by default, the amp is more like a 250wpc amp rather than a 200wpc amp. (Actually it clips at 282 watts into 8 ohms).
What I did not do is increase the voltage by much, If I did that, then heat build-up would have been an issue. So reliability is as default while current drive is increased.
The same is the case with the Adcom 555 and 565. Both have DC rails of 82-0-82 but the 555 has a 675 VA toroidal and makes 200wpc while the 565 has the same rails i.e. 82-0-82 but makes 300 watts, well because it has a 2500VA power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.