Will linear deliver on promised lsj74

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Incidentally, out of sheer frustration with availability of p channels for my F5 project I asked Papa the other day to see what he could do to provide a new input stage for the F5 using current parts since I'm tired of dealing with people in China to get the 170/j74. He agreed we've waited too long for Linear's p channel and would look into doing something about this.

I think they were at RMAF or one of those shows last year handing out samples. I called them around November and they said should be soon, but it never seems to happen. I don't know what the heck is wrong with them. Maybe if you follow them to the trade shows, you can collect enough samples to make an amp.

I'm not sure there's another part that performs as good as the Toshibas did.

I dont think we can blame Linear, on one hand they may already be stucked stabilizing process yield for P channels and on the other hand they need good financial report for their investors. We could probably show support if we combine our interest by filing up interest sheets with real demand quantities.

Just my 2 cents.

+1
I would so much see an elegant solution using only dual monolithic N jfets.

I'm thinking the same thing but my goal was to build the F5 to hear what all the fuss is about. If I designed something before actually hearing the F5 I doubt I'd produce something that sounded even remotely like it. Papa has lots of experience and intuition about the sound of his amps so I'm hoping he'll have time to whip something up for us soon.

Now that there is a pent up demand for the J74 type part they may be able to overcome whatever difficulties there are/were in making this part - since they've had the LSK170 for years now, there can be little doubt that they would most likely have wanted to provide a compliment sooner than later. I'm thinking that they are thinking they can put more $$ into getting the process to work now that there is a greater demand and no other source(s) for this part.

Shame that Toshiba decided to junk the line... :(

_-_-bear

PS. ottopilot, the F5 is two things: a simple easy amp to build and 2) a chameleon - it changes character with bias, parts and implementation.

I'm thinking the same thing but my goal was to build the F5 to hear what all the fuss is about. If I designed something before actually hearing the F5 I doubt I'd produce something that sounded even remotely like it. Papa has lots of experience and intuition about the sound of his amps so I'm hoping he'll have time to whip something up for us soon.

Maybe something else that will work but, I don't know that there is anything as good as the Toshiba parts. Most manufacturers like Pass and Ayre etc. bought a lifetime supply of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.