Will linear deliver on promised lsj74

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Euvl,
You are correct, last thing a product manger would concern themselves with is if someone can hand solder the SMT device.
A SOT-23 can be solder by hand, quite easily, even with the naked eye.
SMT was designed for automated assembly, not for hand assembly by the DIY crowd.
Problem is, maybe 10% of all DIYers actually work with SMD.
Not sure where you can come up with a statement like this?
To me, it is like saying maybe 90% of DIY community are unable to solder.
I solder DFN pkgs by hand, they are a PITA. There is a long list of advantages to using SMT. I look at all the wire leads that have to be cut off THT comps, then thrown out /re-cycled = what a waste of resources.
P.S. get a few good magnifiers, you will be amazed how easy SMT is to work with, once you get the hang of it. I prefer 1206/0805 passives.

Forgot to say, having two soldering irons is essential, so easy to remove a 2 terminal passive, holding the iron tips on both sides.

Jan,

I could write an article about SMT soldering for the DIY community, if that is something that you think would be of use to your readership.
LSJ74 device, to be offered in what pkg's? TO-92/SOT-23? same as LSK?

Next is some of Patrick's regulators
Do you have a link or ref to a article?

Thanks
Rick

I would think that most semi mfg's have/use 3rd party packaging houses do this task. They deliver die and get back pkg's. If they want to sort/select, they probably would want to do this task at the die/probe/test stage and not after packaging. My assumption is that early dual jfets/non-monolythic types (2SK129/146?) were done this way.

I solder SMT passives of 402 and larger, dozens of times a day. In an R&D atmosphere not some production facility. Granted, I despise 0402 even under a uscope but, 0603 is a piece of cake. I'm 55 and need reading glasses for the monitor I'm lookin at! Maybe a microscope is a bit of an expenditure, along with a dual iron, but, a 3-5X lighted glass or some head gear will do 603s or 805s just as easy. There is a learning curve, and I still like T.H. at home but, I can do SMT at home too. step up or get lost in the shuffle :D
And then there is solder paste and the air pensil... Only when I have to!!

Last edited:
Unless your hands are shaky, a good set of headband magnifiers like Optivizor or similar, and a good temp controlled iron with suitable tips is really all you need to hand assemble SMDs - and some practice of course. A felt pen with liquid flux is also good to have, and of course suitably thin solder,- 0.8mm is what I use, or maybe even thinner if available......
I have soldered 0402s under a 6x microscope assembly -not very easy, but doable with some patience.. :) ( - or maybe a lot of p... )

EDIT : - and I've just passed 60! Get going, lads! :trapper:

Last edited:
Well, matching would be more work but... You drill holes for "Pogo Pins in a piece of phenolic or material of your choice and you make a cut-out for the device to land on the pogo pins. Mount a clamping device like a small de-stak-o clamp. You have yourself a custom test socket. Some of these things are actually availble on the market.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I got the LA issue and FETs today.

LSK170: Idss = 12 mA, Yfs = 39 mS
LSJ74: Idss = 8.4 mA, Yfs = 30 mS

Attachments

• 20130913_175652499.png
    20130913_175652499.png
    659.4 KB · Views: 407
Jan D. did not respond to my offer to write up on SMT, but I can do it for free. What do ya want to know, still got some of my HP mfg process manuals in my head.
I do not think that Jan would be the one to teach SMT, since he has just learnt it himself. More to it than meets the eye. ha ha
It starts with tools, then goes on to technique. It can be done without a stereo microscope, but it is a very time consuming task, well that depends on what/how many you are doing & what type of parts.
NicMac must have connections to get LS parts that are not even listed on the mfg web site?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.