Funny ^6 - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2013, 02:20 AM   #201
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

From my humble understanding, both amps are much superior compare to F6 in terms of THD. What about sound, ZM?
Old 21st April 2013, 02:23 AM   #202
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

dunno - didn't made it

as I wrote several times , Mithrandir threw some other Koans in my direction ....... so having fun with them

there are few important parts of puzzle when deciding which one to build (SE or Bal) - power needs , orientation of upstream part of system ;

for my needs ...... 10W is plenty ....... so - SE is logical

and I'm sort of used to triode bloom

Last edited by Zen Mod; 21st April 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 21st April 2013, 02:39 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Is that considered monotonic?

It definitely took away some triode bloom, but interesting thing is as power decreases, spectrum is more weighted towards 2k being higher. More of slope than gradual hill. Now question is, will 5 filar kill higher order stuff. Also how much is result of transformer and do other variations offer some interesting advantages. Gotta go look at 5 filar again. I still say that I am very impressed with detail in space. Sounds much better on Alpairs as they are über lightweight cones and can really lay out layers and textures. The multiway crossovers are apparent and the phase is off. It affects the sound and placement of instruments and ability to reproduce detail. Definitely like negative 2k phase, as it paints deep picture. Enough for a while. Next it's flocchini's turn. I have to go bribe him

Last edited by buzzforb; 21st April 2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 21st April 2013, 02:53 AM   #204
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Unrelated: do you guys know anything about Schroeder diffusers? Worth trying? Need some sound treatment int living room, so boomy.
Old 21st April 2013, 03:04 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Hardwood floors?

Rug on floors paintings on walls. Pretty boxes in room corners. These back ported multiway a crest so many nasty room modes and phase issues. Got the pulled meter from wall, thrird of the way into the room just to keep bass from sounding like movie theatre.
Old 21st April 2013, 12:27 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Looked at this some more, as I was having trouble with it, mentally. Not shocking for me, but it was happening all the same. THen it hit me. If you look at the first picture with just the Funny^6 hooked up, youll notice that you have 2-6K harmonics apparent with just hook up. I would say these are issues with setup and other noise stuff in the test circuit. NOw if you look at the 1W measurement, youll notice that 4-7K harmonics do not change, with only 2K and 3K rising. I think probably a better way to get anidea of sitortion of circuit is to assume that the existing distortion levels in the test circuit could be extracted out of the final results. If you do so, what you get is 2K and 3K that are very close, with slight edge to 2K and everything above that is non issue, as it was present with no signal passing through amp and test rig. All the sudden, it makes more sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Funny^6 hooked up.jpg (72.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Funny^6 @1W.jpg (74.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 21st April 2013, 12:42 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

befire making any further measurements , you must sort your setup ; it seems you have both termination and software calibrating issues , looking at mute F6 FFT

I'm no expert , but that I know

however , short Skype session with someone who knows his drek , regarding PC testing , will have this things sorted
Old 21st April 2013, 12:55 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Who dat? Right now, enjoying Tori Amos, :"I cant see New York". Very well engineered.
Old 21st April 2013, 12:57 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

ook engineering

listen this : Amazon.com: The Complete Recordings, 1902-1920 (Box Set): Alberto Franchetti, Giuseppe Verdi, Jules Massenet, Gaetano Donizetti, Arrigo Boito, Giacomo Puccini, Pietro Mascagni, Umberto Giordano, Amilcare Ponchielli, Ruggero Leoncavallo, Luigi Denza,
Old 21st April 2013, 12:59 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Who dat that I need to Skype? Will listen now. Never mind. Gotta order that

Hide this!Advertise here!