diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Factory Built F4 -double transformers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/232909-factory-built-f4-double-transformers.html)

Manolo47 27th March 2013 01:45 PM

Factory Built F4 -double transformers

What would the benefits, if any, be if I install a second Plitron 300VA transformer in my F4? It would have one serving each channel though the rest of the power supply is not independent for each channel.
So would I gain anything? Thanks.

Zen Mod 27th March 2013 01:53 PM

two xformers in one C bank ?

hardly any improvement

put second Graetz + C bank , and make double mono

then you'll have improvement

ECO-S1EP153BA Panasonic Electronic Components | P6890-ND | DigiKey

but - be aware that DC voltage will rise slightly (less sag due to less load per xformer) , so with 25Vdc caps , you're there , in danger zone

overtheairbroadcast 27th March 2013 02:05 PM

Well, add in a second capacitor bank (resevoir) and you will get more of a resevoir of charge and with the second transformer (power supply) you'll be able to fill that reservoir quicker than with one power supply.

The only improvement that can be noticed is if you can actually empty that resevoir and fill it back quick enough versus not being able to fill it back up quickly enough or not having a big enough resevoir.

On the flipside because I am bad at explaining things is (from what I can figure out from previous readings) is a hugely massive capacitor bank and an overly huge transformer is not needed. If you can not drain/consume it all, you don't need it vastly overbuilt as there is a maximum to how much your transistor can use.

overtheairbroadcast 27th March 2013 02:07 PM

Or what Zen Mod said up there... but yeah, to clarify my previous post, a capacitor bank and transformer for each side if I wasn't so clear.

6L6 27th March 2013 02:51 PM

Adding a second transformer wouldn't do much, if anything.

But the benefits of another F4 would be huge...

:) :) :)

buzzforb 27th March 2013 03:04 PM

I disagree. A second transformer and PSU tends to help in a noticeable way. Although a second F4 is a wonderful idea.

6L6 27th March 2013 03:24 PM

A second transformer and PSU will be a huge benefit, certainly! The OP was talking about just adding another transformer. :)

I still vote for another F4 :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

buzzforb 27th March 2013 03:48 PM

Agreed.

6L6 27th March 2013 03:51 PM

Speaking of F4, mine is working. :) Just needed to change one resistor.

buzzforb 27th March 2013 03:55 PM

Crank it up and add opa and you have something special. Even Mr ZM has funny per that would be great. Great customer device as well:devilr: