diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Does Bi-Amping with F5 for the lows and AlephJ for mid/high make sense? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/232791-does-bi-amping-f5-lows-alephj-mid-high-make-sense.html)

donLuciano 25th March 2013 08:03 PM

Does Bi-Amping with F5 for the lows and AlephJ for mid/high make sense?

Hi,

I have an AlephJ to drive my Klipsch RF-7's. I also have some boards of an F5 laying around. Would it make sensor to use those for bi-amplification to use for the low's and have some better control on those woofers? Or are their tonal characteristics to different?

Grtz

AndrewT 26th March 2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donLuciano (Post 3427126)
............. for bi-amplification...........

Which version?
Here in the UK, bi-amping means using two amplifiers to drive the separate terminals of a passive crossover speaker.
Over in the US, bi-amping seems to mean building an active system where each amplifier is dedicated to a driver that is driven directly and the crossover is handled before the amplifying stages.

vacuphile 26th March 2013 10:36 AM

Bi-amplification always makes sense. If amplifiers have different tonal characteristics something is wrong somewhere.

donLuciano 26th March 2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewT (Post 3427913)
Which version?
Here in the UK, bi-amping means using two amplifiers to drive the separate terminals of a passive crossover speaker.
Over in the US, bi-amping seems to mean building an active system where each amplifier is dedicated to a driver that is driven directly and the crossover is handled before the amplifying stages.

I would start with first option and later followed by option 2. We need to keep on building :)) Thats the fun of this hobby ;)

donLuciano 26th March 2013 06:56 PM

The thing that I'm considering all this is that I love the sound of the AlephJ but in the lows it just doesn't control these RF-7's. I tried the F5 which was good but in the end I preferred the AlephJ. now I was wondering if this could give me best of both......?

I've read that an X version of an Aleph has a perceptually better control of the lows.....so that could also be an option but it's something I do not fully understand if the damping factor is similar or even slightly higher. At least that's what I've read somewhere on the forum.

wuffwaff 27th March 2013 08:26 AM

Hi,

for better bass control you could also try to raise the ac-current-gain of your AlephJ a bit (say to 60% or so). This is an easily done and could save an extra amp.

William

donLuciano 27th March 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuffwaff (Post 3429322)
Hi,

for better bass control you could also try to raise the ac-current-gain of your AlephJ a bit (say to 60% or so). This is an easily done and could save an extra amp.

William

Hi wuffwaff,

Good idea indeed to try that. Ill give it a shot this weekend :)
How do you come to suggest 60%

Dank je

AndrewT 28th March 2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donLuciano (Post 3428582)
I would start with first option and later followed by option 2. We need to keep on building :)) Thats the fun of this hobby ;)

for UK bi-ampling the two amplifiers must have the same gain.

donLuciano 28th March 2013 12:24 PM

:D I'm aware of that but thnx anyway!

AndrewT 28th March 2013 02:40 PM

But then, when you go to active, the gains of the amplifiers are determined by the sensitivity of the speaker drivers.
You are likely to have at least 6dB gain difference and can approach 20dB of gain differences.
The two speaker driving philosophies are quite different: Bi-amping is not equivalent to active when considering the amplifiers required to drive the speakers.