Removable TO-220 - Sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone comment on the use of TO-220 sockets? I think this may be a 1st in this forum to experiment.

I recently upgraded my BSOZ preamp to allow for "transistor swapping" just like how tube users can "tube roll" their valves for different sounds.

What sonic drawbacks are there to using these sockets? These were bought from Digikey and made by Molex/Waldom. The connection seems quite good.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T033/0509.pdf

BQ

Attachments

• to_220_socket.jpg
    to_220_socket.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 781
Heatsink

Thomas,

I salvaged all these small heatsinks from the local scrap metal recycler. Specifically, this heatsink came out of an old Mita photo copying machine. Believe me, it was not easy in dismantling these photocopiers just to get at those heatsinks.

I've managed to use all of them up on other projects and would love to find more. You're right, Digikey, Allied, Mouser don't carry them. Apparently they all carry the same generic ones that are MUCH smaller (count the # of fins) OR they are too bulky in size (too fat and square) in that they do not fit with the other components around on the PCB. Ideally, I would like to find more with the same size foot print and extend longer.

BQ

The problem with solid state sockets and other types of terminal connectors/blocks is that theyare not made of tin plated copper. Most are brass tin plate or nickel plate. Many items in catalogs do not even tell you what the base metal is. Your better of soldering.
It would be nice to have qualtiy sockets like tube guys can get.

Base Metal - Quality in Sound

gnomus,

The .pdf link shows that these socket are made of tin-plated brass.

I don't clearly understand if there's an audible difference between tin-plated copper vs tin-plated brass? I mean it's only the tin plating that the transistor pins have contact to?

Eitherway, I can't seem to hear the difference when I had the transistors directly soldered vs. using these sockets. I would think a different brand of transistor would have a bigger influence in sound quality over what metal is used in the sockets?

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.