A-75 buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a rookie.

But somehow I managed to build an A-75 about 2 years ago and since then I have lived with a buzzing sound, not too annoying with my main speakers but really obnoxious with some single driver boxes I am now toying with.

Question: The buzz is not the traditional hum, but more like what I would suspect is related to either the diodes or voltage doubler circuit in the regulated power supply. Where should I look for the source and/or how can I eliminate (or reduce) the buzz?

Thanks,

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Look on the rails for the front end using a scope,
and if they look like they don't have any ripple,
say only a few millivolts AC, then the amplifier
might be oscillating, in which case you look for high
frequency noise at the output, again using an
oscilloscope.

Dave:
Did you add the bypass electrolytics to the driver card board? There was some slight oscillations that showed up on a few of these that were eliminated by placing an electrolytic from the + , - power inputs to ground on the driver cards. I think 150 mf, polarized. Keep - pointing to - and + pointing to + . This will mean where they come together at the ground you'll have a - to a + .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.