The B1 Buffer and F5 Build intergrated, questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, Iv'e already built an F5 thats been working a year, can someone please help with this, call me silly but i cant find the info about this pre i have couple of questions

Whats the B1 actually do ? if its not a pre-amp does it not amplify the sound ?
Whats the benefit of using it with the F5 ?
Does the B1 buffer take care of a little DC offset ?

This F5 here, can anyone guess what the two red boxes are ? and what transformer that might be ?
and one more... that black cable on the power switch whats the name for that ?
Inspiration.jpg

The wire used here, what kind of wire would this be ? or where to buy ? lol
anyone know a source of clips that can hold down the Mosfets, i like that!

F5__PCB_Close.jpg

Im going to build the pre or B1, into the same chassis as the F5, along with inputs, selector switch etc
:) cheers for looking

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Whats the B1 actually do ? if its not a pre-amp does it not amplify the sound ?

Nope. It's a buffer. It lets the volume pot (attenuator) operate in an ideal environment and allows for the driving of long cables if you need to.

Whats the benefit of using it with the F5 ?

Volume control.

Does the B1 buffer take care of a little DC offset ?

Yes. It's cap coupled.

I think this is where having an oscilloscope would be nice and detecting any difference in wires, cheers

Im still wondering what those components are in the Red/black amp i posted at the beginning of this thread if anyone knows ? the red boxes left and right of the PSU. and what that power switch lead covering could be made of ?
:)

Thanks it seems so, just liked the look of that one.
My friends wondering if the B1 with F5 will be loud enough driven probably from CD player my guess is yes.. of corse theres the other option to build one of the Class-A pre's like Bride of Zen.

Has anyone had a problem with it not being loud enough ?
I know i could Decrease the feedback like some have done for that extra push.
how about
BOZ -> B1 -> F5
or do i not need B1 if i have BOZ

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.