diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Jim's Audio F5 power supply board (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/231800-jims-audio-f5-power-supply-board.html)

Hikari1 11th March 2013 04:47 AM

Jim's Audio F5 power supply board

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the diyaudio store is out of power supply boards for my F5 build. An ebay search led me to this...Jim's audio power supply board.

Seems like it's good quality...but I don't see any snubber capacitors? Big deal, yes or no? Also, the pads marked "HL"? Thermistor? lastly, the 2k2 resistors...I assume those are bleeders?

Man, all I need is a case (out of stock) and a PS board (out of stock) from the diyudio store and I could finish up my F5. Should I wait or should I risk using this PS PCB?

Lastly, I emailed Jim's audio. They "claim" to have Fairchild FQA19N20/FQA12P20 mosfets. I bought a pair of each. They are on thier way from Hong Kong now. I have no idea if they are fakes or not. Any ideas how to tell?

oneplustwo 11th March 2013 05:50 AM

I was in your situation and used this board for my F5. No probs. Nice quality board. Some have had issues with the star grounding scheme, but IIRC, it was just a simple matter of connecting some of the ground pads together. I didn't have real issues myself but connected those point anyway.

jimbo51 11th March 2013 05:51 AM

Must be good quality ...... says FIRST WATT on it! :wave2s:

Better to be patient and support the good guys.

omishra 11th March 2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo51 (Post 3405298)
Must be good quality ...... says FIRST WATT on it! :wave2s:

Better to be patient and support the good guys.

I am sorry but I read "FTRST WATT"

AudioSan 11th March 2013 06:48 AM

you can also use the aleph PSU Boards from chipamp.com. they support 6x 40mm caps, CRC/CLC, bleader resistors and bypass caps.

jimbo51 11th March 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omishra (Post 3405325)

What us down-under folk would call being a "smart ar5e", he knows what he wants to imply but trying to keep safe legally.

sachu888 11th March 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omishra (Post 3405325)

Good catch Om.

Regards,
Sachin

Hikari1 11th March 2013 04:39 PM

Jim's audio also has this board. Anyone care to comment?

Heavy Duty Power Supply Partial Kit Pass Amplifiers | eBay

Onboard rectifiers. I am not really an expert on rectifiers...are these worse than the block type rectifiers? I would replace the resistors. Also, would a f5 build require two of these boards? I only see one set of secondary in/out.

Audiosan: I looked at chipamp.com but could only find images of a PS board that uses 2 caps....

mdynac 11th March 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikari1 (Post 3406064)
Audiosan: I looked at chipamp.com but could only find images of a PS board that uses 2 caps....

go to the ORDERS page and scroll to the bottom listing, you will find the aleph power supply which will work for your F5 also.

AudioSan 11th March 2013 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
her is a pic of the boards.