Jim's Audio F5 power supply board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the diyaudio store is out of power supply boards for my F5 build. An ebay search led me to this...Jim's audio power supply board.

Seems like it's good quality...but I don't see any snubber capacitors? Big deal, yes or no? Also, the pads marked "HL"? Thermistor? lastly, the 2k2 resistors...I assume those are bleeders?

Man, all I need is a case (out of stock) and a PS board (out of stock) from the diyudio store and I could finish up my F5. Should I wait or should I risk using this PS PCB?

Lastly, I emailed Jim's audio. They "claim" to have Fairchild FQA19N20/FQA12P20 mosfets. I bought a pair of each. They are on thier way from Hong Kong now. I have no idea if they are fakes or not. Any ideas how to tell?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJFEFCcQOTgNvBQyFgFlT7!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqJHJFEFCcQOTgNvBQyFgFlT7!~~60_57.JPG
    923.6 KB · Views: 1,584
I was in your situation and used this board for my F5. No probs. Nice quality board. Some have had issues with the star grounding scheme, but IIRC, it was just a simple matter of connecting some of the ground pads together. I didn't have real issues myself but connected those point anyway.

Jim's audio also has this board. Anyone care to comment?

Heavy Duty Power Supply Partial Kit Pass Amplifiers | eBay

Onboard rectifiers. I am not really an expert on rectifiers...are these worse than the block type rectifiers? I would replace the resistors. Also, would a f5 build require two of these boards? I only see one set of secondary in/out.

Audiosan: I looked at chipamp.com but could only find images of a PS board that uses 2 caps....

Jim's audio also has this board. Anyone care to comment?

Heavy Duty Power Supply Partial Kit Pass Amplifiers | eBay

Onboard rectifiers. I am not really an expert on rectifiers...are these worse than the block type rectifiers? I would replace the resistors. Also, would a f5 build require two of these boards? I only see one set of secondary in/out.

Audiosan: I looked at chipamp.com but could only find images of a PS board that uses 2 caps....
I don't know your purpose. But I built descrete rectifier board and each of the dual diode gets fairly warmer with small heatsink. Now I feel diode block without heatsink will get hotter.
Btw I have these boards purchased for some purpose. I did not use it, it looks fairly good quality though.

Yes, 6x33000uf from Apex jr.

So, what is the best place for the resistors/bypass caps? After the first set of caps or after the 2nd?

Zen, your proposing a single ground location instead of my ground 'bus'. Actually I wanted to use a copper plate but couldn't find a suitable plate. Do you think the grounding design I am using will be a problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.