Pass Diyaudio Awards Poll - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2003, 08:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pass Diyaudio Awards Poll

I thought it would be interesting to run a Poll on the popularity of introducing awards to members of the diyaudio forums and in particular the Pass forum of whom there are many loyal followers.

The idea is to create a quality environment that encourages excellence in every aspect of our forums through peer awards for members who consistently demonstrate particular skills and behaviours that benefit the forums and its members in a variety of ways.

For example there could be various categories

best mentor of new members,
most improved/ technical knowledge/posts
best technical innovation - a breakthrough or discovery,
highest postings per month/year,
best assistance to another members project,
best technical post of the month/year,
most entertaining post of the month/year
Best project of the month/year

The awards could be recognition or reward based and sponsored by the members.

Please post your vote, supporting comments or other ideas.

Ian
Old 21st November 2003, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, that's quite a can of worms you are about to open there!
I can see your purpose, and it is a worthy one. If it would encourage members to reflect on their contribution before releasing their posts, that would definitely lead to a higher signal/noise ratio. In that sense, I am surprised to see the category highest postings per month/year, which I think has no bearing on quality or excellence.

This project will need some very sensitive managing from whoever will run it. The Moderators, probably, since they have credit and are accepted to a large extend by the community. Still, basically every DIY-er considers his work/contributions the best, so there might be the occasional flamewar and personal insults.

Another thing to consider is that large difference in capability and experience between members. Just looking at "best" contribution will immediately shut off the beginners who are just trying to discover DIYaudio, and which are absolutely indispensable for a healthy exsistence of DIYaudio. I don't know a good answer to that one right away but we must be carefull before doing something irreversable.

Lastly, I noted your thread title "Pass DIY". I don't know why that is, but surely you don't want to limit it to that thread only. It's just another thread, of which there are a lot, some less interesting, some much more interesting.

I appreciate your initiative. I will vote for you in the category "best new initiative of the year"!

Jan Didden
Old 21st November 2003, 09:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan,

Your points are interesting, its actually these sort of issues that I think would potentially just go away.

My intent was that the members being the peers are the community would vote on various categories.

Regards some of the points the reasoning on highest posts is the most committed member, i.e. previously Peter, one of the moderators reached a milestone with his posts, and they are all great posts.

Also, I think if a silent survey was done at the moment you would find many don't post because of for example a "techno egotistical" behaviour of a minority. The awards would help moderate these kinds of anti social mal adjusted mentalities through the weight of peer opinion.

Any question, idea or request whether from a new member or a senior should be treated with respect and understanding.

Lastly, I don't think this has to be anything hi powered, quite the contrary. In fact this goes on informally sometimes. ie Mr Pass occasionally provides recognition of merit when someone actually succeeds in discovering the wisdom of his designs. But I hardly consider it reasonable that we should rely or be waiting on Mr Pass for that sort of thing.

Nothing is forever and we should appreciate what we have and why we are here. Amen.

I appreciate your input Jan

macka
Old 21st November 2003, 09:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Retiree

Default Great Idea!

"techno egotistical" behaviour of a minority"

How about another catagory for:

Worst techno-egotist

I believe Mr. Rolliins has a lock on most of the others. I believe Nelson Pass is disqualified being obviously in class all by himself above the contributions of mere motals like us. This is said in absolute sincerity with no sarcasim and the greatest respect for the One and Only.

Fred Dieckmann
P.E. Techno-Egotism

(Just trying it out to see how it looks....)
Old 21st November 2003, 09:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I will disregard Fred's comments,

Lay a trap and along comes cunning rogue beast,

A bit like Hannibal Lector hey Fred, but you lack style and finesse.

Well forgive my inital response, I need glasses to read that fine print. Bigger please Fred

macka
Old 21st November 2003, 10:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Retiree

Default Reflections of The way life used to be

"If it would encourage members to reflect on their contribution before releasing their posts, that would definitely lead to a higher signal/noise ratio."

I AM ALL FOR THAT!

The only problem is that if that even happened we would have about 3 or for post a day from the entire membership instead of 3 per hour from us trouble makers.

As Mark Twain said..... " Heaven for climate, Hell for society. "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supreme8s.jpg (12.3 KB, 529 views)
Old 21st November 2003, 10:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Retiree

Default But what about my language skills?

Quote:
Originally posted by macka
I will disregard Fred's comments,

Lay a trap and along comes cunning rogue beast,

A bit like Hannibal Lector hey Fred, but you lack style and finesse.

Well forgive my inital response, I need glasses to read that fine print. Bigger please Fred

macka
The heading said GREAT IDEA! I hope my lack of finesse doesn't reflect on my language skills..... I notice you did not refer to me as a cunning linguist........
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg rouge beast.jpeg (16.0 KB, 516 views)
Old 21st November 2003, 10:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nice to collect some ideas but perhaps just one vote per member please.

"A minority does not rule in a democracy."

I think your 1st post sums up the object of the exercise rather well.

We prefer the mask ON by the way.

Next please.

macka
Old 21st November 2003, 11:07 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
highest postings per month/year,
not a good idea - everyone who reads the board should know why.

Quote:
most improved/ technical knowledge/posts
who should be the judge? one of those who are making war about chipamp and resistor sound???
Old 21st November 2003, 11:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Till,

Thankyou for your comments.

I assume you are refering to certain religious factions.

Well let the resister people talk sense among themselves and like wise the Chip monks.

Ever heard of balanced design.

I mean we are talking about someone who might originally shoot from the hip with mere techno rot as opposed to researching a topic, posting well thought out ideas or provide facts that are useful in solving a problem.

macka

Hide this!Advertise here!