Pass Diyaudio Awards Poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought it would be interesting to run a Poll on the popularity of introducing awards to members of the diyaudio forums and in particular the Pass forum of whom there are many loyal followers.

The idea is to create a quality environment that encourages excellence in every aspect of our forums through peer awards for members who consistently demonstrate particular skills and behaviours that benefit the forums and its members in a variety of ways.

For example there could be various categories

best mentor of new members,
most improved/ technical knowledge/posts
best technical innovation - a breakthrough or discovery,
highest postings per month/year,
best assistance to another members project,
best technical post of the month/year,
most entertaining post of the month/year
Best project of the month/year

The awards could be recognition or reward based and sponsored by the members.

Please post your vote, supporting comments or other ideas.

Ian

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, that's quite a can of worms you are about to open there!
I can see your purpose, and it is a worthy one. If it would encourage members to reflect on their contribution before releasing their posts, that would definitely lead to a higher signal/noise ratio. In that sense, I am surprised to see the category highest postings per month/year, which I think has no bearing on quality or excellence.

This project will need some very sensitive managing from whoever will run it. The Moderators, probably, since they have credit and are accepted to a large extend by the community. Still, basically every DIY-er considers his work/contributions the best, so there might be the occasional flamewar and personal insults.

Another thing to consider is that large difference in capability and experience between members. Just looking at "best" contribution will immediately shut off the beginners who are just trying to discover DIYaudio, and which are absolutely indispensable for a healthy exsistence of DIYaudio. I don't know a good answer to that one right away but we must be carefull before doing something irreversable.

Lastly, I noted your thread title "Pass DIY". I don't know why that is, but surely you don't want to limit it to that thread only. It's just another thread, of which there are a lot, some less interesting, some much more interesting.

I appreciate your initiative. I will vote for you in the category "best new initiative of the year"!

Jan Didden

Thanks Jan,

Your points are interesting, its actually these sort of issues that I think would potentially just go away.

My intent was that the members being the peers are the community would vote on various categories.

Regards some of the points the reasoning on highest posts is the most committed member, i.e. previously Peter, one of the moderators reached a milestone with his posts, and they are all great posts.

Also, I think if a silent survey was done at the moment you would find many don't post because of for example a "techno egotistical" behaviour of a minority. The awards would help moderate these kinds of anti social mal adjusted mentalities through the weight of peer opinion.

Any question, idea or request whether from a new member or a senior should be treated with respect and understanding.

Lastly, I don't think this has to be anything hi powered, quite the contrary. In fact this goes on informally sometimes. ie Mr Pass occasionally provides recognition of merit when someone actually succeeds in discovering the wisdom of his designs. But I hardly consider it reasonable that we should rely or be waiting on Mr Pass for that sort of thing.

Nothing is forever and we should appreciate what we have and why we are here. Amen.

I appreciate your input Jan

macka

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Great Idea!

"techno egotistical" behaviour of a minority"

How about another catagory for:

Worst techno-egotist

I believe Mr. Rolliins has a lock on most of the others. I believe Nelson Pass is disqualified being obviously in class all by himself above the contributions of mere motals like us. This is said in absolute sincerity with no sarcasim and the greatest respect for the One and Only.

Fred Dieckmann
P.E. Techno-Egotism

(Just trying it out to see how it looks....)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Reflections of The way life used to be

"If it would encourage members to reflect on their contribution before releasing their posts, that would definitely lead to a higher signal/noise ratio."

I AM ALL FOR THAT!

The only problem is that if that even happened we would have about 3 or for post a day from the entire membership instead of 3 per hour from us trouble makers.

As Mark Twain said..... " Heaven for climate, Hell for society. "

Attachments

• supreme8s.jpg
    supreme8s.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 552
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
But what about my language skills?

macka said:
I will disregard Fred's comments,

Lay a trap and along comes cunning rogue beast,

A bit like Hannibal Lector hey Fred, but you lack style and finesse.

Well forgive my inital response, I need glasses to read that fine print. Bigger please Fred

macka

The heading said GREAT IDEA! I hope my lack of finesse doesn't reflect on my language skills..... I notice you did not refer to me as a cunning linguist........

Attachments

• rouge beast.jpeg
    rouge beast.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 537
Till,

Thankyou for your comments.

I assume you are refering to certain religious factions.

Well let the resister people talk sense among themselves and like wise the Chip monks.

Ever heard of balanced design.

I mean we are talking about someone who might originally shoot from the hip with mere techno rot as opposed to researching a topic, posting well thought out ideas or provide facts that are useful in solving a problem.

macka

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
macka said:
Thanks Jan,

Your points are interesting, its actually these sort of issues that I think would potentially just go away.
[snip] In fact this goes on informally sometimes. ie Mr Pass occasionally provides recognition of merit when someone actually succeeds in discovering the wisdom of his designs. But I hardly consider it reasonable that we should rely or be waiting on Mr Pass for that sort of thing.[snip]

Macka,

Let me make this very clear. I have the greatest respect for Mr Pass, sincerely. I have never met him, wish I would. I have used his ideas shamelessy in some of my designs. I have a whole collection of Pass patents in a folder in my lab. But, this IS DIYaudio. If, in any way, we look to Mr Pass to pass (no pun intended) out these awards, I'm outta here. Seriously. I hope I don't need to explain this. But I will if necessary.

Jan Didden

Jan,

I appreciate your response.

(yes this is diy)
I was referring to some of the X Aleph threads, where the degree of motivation, colaboration & passion to solve a technical issue runs high.

ie Ian's contribution towards discovering the famous 4.7K feeback resisters which was a milestone with the X Aleph project along with the initiatives of many others which made the thread a whole lot of fun to be involved with.

This is a lot more sensible than childish stone throwing by some who can only think in one narrow dimension.

macka

agressive

macka said:
I will disregard Fred's comments,

Lay a trap and along comes cunning rogue beast,

A bit like Hannibal Lector hey Fred, but you lack style and finesse.

Well forgive my inital response, I need glasses to read that fine print. Bigger please Fred

macka

Why are you that agressive?

Fred may have a strange kind of humour but this gives nobody
the right to compare him to one of the worst characters in
english literature!

:whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat:

Uli :nod: :nod: :nod:

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Already been called a terrorist and cannibalism was about all that was left

"who might originally shoot from the hip with mere techno rot as opposed to researching a topic, posting well thought out ideas or provide facts that are useful in solving a problem."

Absolutely include a category for that! I have about 3 or 4 nominees for that one.

Actually, I think he said that I wasa bit like Hannibal Lecter and not that I bit like Hannibal Lecter.

Off to a nice breakfast of sausages, fava beans and a nice Chianti.

macka,

I also frequent a number of woodworking sites (other beloved hobby) and on one particular forum a post rating system was instituted (not too much different than what you suggest). It did not last long because all it did was breed contempt, favoritism and bad feelings in general. These type of things tend to bring out the worst because of the emotion involved. There may be no faster way to kill the Pass Labs forum than instituting your idea.

till said:

not a good idea - everyone who reads the board should know why.

who should be the judge? one of those who are making war about chipamp and resistor sound???

Of course it would have to be done by anonymous voting of all concerned members.

While I don't see any good reason for doing it on regular basis, it may be a good idea to do it once, at the end of each year (in categories not limited to Pass forum only). It would add a bit of motivation and excitement, as well fun in a Holiday season.

Somebody would have to volunteer to count all the votes, as I'm too busy checking resistors sound and preparing for a next chipamp war;)

I would vote this the most insanely stupid idea of the year, first thing - and then refrain from voting for anything else.

There is nothing about this site that should be about popularity or judging of others in such a manner. While there are those here whom I value and others only slightly above contempt, nothing ever would be gained by me expressing those opinions. So I don't. And moderators would shout me down if I did.

Doing in quiet would not make it better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.