Passlabs X-600 Mono's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Friend of mine can buy a pair of original Pass X-600 mono's.
We wonder if they can drive his Acoustat 4400 electrostatics that are not the easiest load for a amp.
He currently operates them with Levinson 20.6's
I've seen a German review of the 600's and fond as those Germans are for 'Daten' they depicted a kind of 3D waterfall relation between load, angle and voltage where at the lower impedances the X-600's sagged their voltage quite a lot. It's not a real voltagesource like the 20.6 or Krells but probably is not intended to be. Is that a problem with loads like from Acoustats and low efficiency (82dB). I've no handson experience with this amp.

Can a X-600 easily be converted to a X-160 or even a 160.5?
It's in principle the same difference as the Threshold S/1000 and SA/1 I suppose?
The former is a bridged topology and the latter a mono-parallel configuration if I'm right.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The X-600 and X-1000 are similar and I believe simpler than the smaller versions. They have unbelievable amounts of output transistors! The other X-amps use a different "UGS" circuit.
The output stages are diffferent among the different series. You can learn more reading literature at the Pass labs website.
:Pawprint:

well. the compact sharp stereo i had as a kid. drove i wrence with insulated copperwire around it. that dont say to much(about 0.5ohm):D
how ever. low impedance and low efficiency do not mix. that demands a hell of a lot of amps. and voltage. but i ecpect the low impedance to only be in a smal part of the freuquency.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.