So why are Heatsinks so bloddy expensive???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coulomb said:
Heat sinks cost hundreds of dollars.. poppycock! Check these out, all purchased off eBay for a fist full of dollars, sorry Mr. Eastwood. :)

'Mini-monkey, quit humping the giant frikkin heatsink.' -Dr. EvilSink

(referencing page 8-21, just so you know).

I don't know how I missed your pics before, Coulomb. Nice work!

I got 8 black anodized sinks from e-bay for just under $100 shipped a while back. 4 look similar in size to what many use for Aleph 2's, which is my current goal. Time, patience and a wary hand on the bid button yield good results, for sure.

Sandy.

JCoffey said:
Just feels like a scam to me. I mean Heatsinks can run in the hundreds of dollars for a pair, yet you can buy a $70 car stereo amp from the pawnshop thats not too much different in size, and the whole blooming top of the case is a heatsink. So why so much? I mean it's extrueded aluminum isnt it? I know some are machined, but I mean come on!!!!

If you could buy heatsinks in a pawnshop, they would be cheap as well;)

I remember buying nice sinks at my local supply store and they were $10 ea (black anodized)

Thanks Sandy, I do not post many pics of my stuff. I tend to keep a low profile, but recently Peter has been getting far to comfortable with the praise continuosly heaped on him. I felt an intervention may be required before his head explodes!! :D

Of course Peter knows I am just taking a mickey, for fun's sake...Well I think he does. Anyway I was a qualified precision mechanic/machinist in my early years then I went back to school for electronics technology. I still have open access to a very well equipped professional machine shop owned by a friend of mine.

Your right about eBay sharp eye and a quick mind are required sometimes to no when to buy and when to not to.

Regards

Anthony

Heatsink King!

Heatsinks are a hot commodity. When it comes to buying them (cheaply) I think SE will vouche that i'm the heatsink king.

I just bought 82kgs (180lbs) few weeks ago which were the same ones I bought last year in the photolink below:

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/HiFi/Heatsinks/HS_Collection_4.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/HiFi/Heatsinks/HS_Collection_5.JPG

I hope to use some of them for a balanced Zen v4 amp (monoblocs). I don't think i'll manage to use all of them up but along the lines, I have friends that will soon look to me for heatsinks. I'm still awaiting for more Plinius style heatsinks (ones I used in my SoZ amp) to show up.

Why don't you just buy the $70 amp and steal its

Mr. Pass has it right. I'm all for recycling however, I don't think any pawnshop could meet my needs for a healthy heatsink supply. When I think of heatsinks, I go to my local scrap metal recylers here in Christchurch (NZ). Why? Because no pawn shop is willing to handle refridgerator size rectifiers where we really see large heatsinks.

My question is, being how big these old rectifiers are, will there be a time where power/telecommunications companies use more efficient rectifiers with virtually no heatsinks inside (do they exist?) I mean that's a A LOT OF power loss in each rectifier.

BQ

Consider making a heatsink from a stack of 1/4" aluminium plates the same size as the side of the amplifier case and running parallel with it. Fit aluminium spacers with thermally conductive paste between the plates and bolt the whole lot together.

This just requires a small number of simple forms: spacers and plates. If the amplifier runs too hot just add more plates:)

Stacking Plates

Consider making a heatsink from a stack of 1/4" aluminium plates

Many years ago when looking to build my 1st amp, I went around local sheet metal machine shops with plans to do stackable cuts size plates all into one big nice chassis. In short, I couldn't justify spending over $800 NZ ($500usd) for a chassis about 2 ft long x 1.25 ft wide x .5 ft high. The cost of the shop labour + new materials killed the idea.

BQ

If you look at a commericial product, the heatsinks, transformer, knoobs/switch assemblies, and enclosures are nearly always designed specifically for that product. If you make it in the thousands the costs of these can be reasonable. If you only want one you either pay a huge amount ot make do with a "standard" item. In certain area even standard is not built in quantity.

The only way around this is to become acquanted with surplus sources - E-bay, local shops, garage sales.

Garage sales can have some nice surprises. I recently found an acient Realistic (radio shack) PA amp for $5. Opened it and stripped out and dumped everthing but the transformer and, powe entry and some mounting hardware. It will probably be used for a 50W/channel integrated amp where the combined cost of the enclosure and transformer will be only US$5.00 !

For class B amps of 50W, my expirements so far suggest that the larger Aavid or Wakefield PCB mounted heatsinks for TO-247 devices can be used. I'm not sure about 100W. You prabably need to parrallel the output devices (double the number of heatsinks) and have good ventilation. This add some contraints to the layout inside the enclusure but the sinks are very cheap (standard item built in quantity for distributor's inventory).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.