F5 / Mezmerize Integrated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK Salas, I played music for a couple of hours with the case closed up, then took some temperature readings in degrees F:

F5 Mosfets: 143.5
Mez PS cap: 93.6
PS cap: 92.6

How does that look?

143.5=62C i.e very good for this type of Mosfets and 1.3A bias current times their 24V across. ~87C on the silicon die when they can take 150C for short.
Caps at about 93F-94F or 34C on average means 16000 hours for 1000 hour 85C spec or 32000 hours for 2000 hour 85C spec. Again very good. What spec are your caps?

105C caps would be recommended for any hot class A amp inside running over 50C to achieve similar or better if long life electrolyte is used also. Your amp is cool inside and allows you extra choice for lower rated lines that the ''audio'' types usually are.

I see some pinkish Mosfet insulation pads in your photos. Are those Keratherm by any chance? Which brings the discussion to the local temperature on the power semis cases is the best criterion. Thermal bonding from semis cases to sinks can vary depending on method and materials.

I'm using these thermal insulation pads. I couldn't locate mica insulators.

http://www.bergquistcompany.com/thermal_materials/sil_pad/pdfs/sil-pad-900s/PDS_SP_900S_12.08_E.pdf

143.5=62C i.e very good for this type of Mosfets and 1.3A bias current times their 24V across. ~87C on the silicon die when they can take 150C for short.
Caps at about 93F-94F or 34C on average means 16000 hours for 1000 hour 85C spec or 32000 hours for 2000 hour 85C spec. Again very good. What spec are your caps?

105C caps would be recommended for any hot class A amp inside running over 50C to achieve similar or better if long life electrolyte is used also. Your amp is cool inside and allows you extra choice for lower rated lines that the ''audio'' types usually are.

The caps on the Mesmerize are Nichion KW standard audio, 2000 hours at 85c. On the PS, Panasonic TS-HA, 3000 hours at 105c.

It's good to know it's running cool enough.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The better the pads the hotter the sinks and cooler the power semis. No worries in your case though.
The power PS is gonna have 192000 hours of useful life while your amp is on. Will last you almost like a C-130 Hercules.:D The Mez caps 32000 hours.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
. Will last you almost like a C-130 Hercules.:D

True Story -

One of my professors in college was a squadron commander in the USMC of a C-130 unit in the Vietnam war.

He had a squadron of new C-130, and after flying them around the clock for awhile, the maintainance crews were finding fatigue cracks in the main wing spars. (which will junk the aircraft)

A consultant engineer from Lockheed was brought in to look at the utilization schedule...because these aircraft were new. He looked at things like loading, flight time, mission, flying stresses, etc... (All of which were extremely high, the planes were flying as much a physically possible, almost always departing well above max gross weight, and putting them through a high-stress mission (low level aerial drops, low-level ingress and egress, etc...)

The engineer took all this into account and pronounced these new (about 2yr old) C-130 "done". The continuous high stresses made for a huge multiplication factor on flying time and wear, and they were fatigued and worn out in a fraction of the calendar time that they should have been.

Very cool project and something I was also considering, housing a B1/F5 together. But I think I will use separate boxes, for flexibility's sake. I will be building a Pearl 2 first, as that's a more pressing need right now.

I heard my first F5 a few weeks ago at a friend's place through some big Altecs, and I was VERY impressed. Now, I'm a believer.

Speaker Protection?

Salas, would you recommend additional speaker protection with this build? What sort of failure conditions could cause speaker damage from DC?

My speakers are the most expensive components in my system and are pretty much irreplaceable and I want to make sure they're not at risk.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Statistically there is no hard dcb1 failures pattern reported here yet. Bcs its some yrs now its safe to say that the overall design and parts spec are field reliable. Electrolytics have a finite life and I have given you rule of thumb on how to calculate their life expectancy in your thread. In hi hot-rod mostly a MOSFET or diode, led, bjt, fet, failure can suddenly happen in the course of time if the thermals are not proper. But semis don't come with a guarantee in general. Some guy could kill something with static or forget something after tampering with new parts for instance and then go power up before doing all the first time checks again, whatever. Source equipment can develop some failure and feed DC or unknown ones could be hooked up. Having a full DC path without detect and disengage circuitry at the power end at least is taking chances. Can't recommend such an approach as bullet proof. Use proven quality speaker delay/protection with DC detection feature.

Looks spot on, think i will build with the Mesmerize however..

The Mesmerize is a DC coupled buffer.
The F5 is a DC coupled amplifier.
Any DC that comes about from a failure in a source, or in the Mez, or in the F5 will be capable of frying the direct coupled drivers in your speakers.
Capacitor coupled drivers should survive.

Has anyone added protection caps on the input and output ? Im building this for a friend i Dont want it to blow up on him just because he might plug in some source that has DC in it.
Is there a Solution ? for the DCB1 or B1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.