SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The object has nothing to do with who :D If I can get some good data we can figure it out then. But, it still won't be who. We'll see. I need to think about the R085 biasing/testing theory??? I might need to play tricks to get the bias and a pulsed signal? Hmm?
There was also this reverse current mode Mike and Buzz were almost talkin about??? looked good but upside/down? Maybe I should say "electron flow" ?
:Pawprint:

Thanks you Antoinel for waking the thread back up. I like Buzz's post of the linearization article, although I'll have to get smarter than I am to understand some of the nuance.

I've been hibernating working on my thoughts on this linearization theme. I'll be posting some new data and analysis using measurements from a variety of interesting SemiSouth parts. Even plan to post a YouTube to show you how I did my analysis on my computer (believe me a video is worth a zillion words). I'll post some fresh data in an Excel sheet so you all can try it yourself and give me some feedback.

Thanks again for the encouragement and great ideas. Flg, you keep plugging away. :)

vell count me in to get same and double the number of sale if a decent complementary pair became available
This is relay interesting stuff and Just because I did not post before it does not mean that I am not reading every single word and if I do there is quite a lot more people doing the same that you may believe possible

If there is one thing that baffle me is the shape of the wave of a string instrument (Guitar) as descibed by Tea BAg that I believe is more a sine wave
Energy to the string causes string to move at a certain speed it slow down before racing the extreme extension and then accelerate back and repeat

A more like triangular valve is found in wind instruments still no needt to change much
Still no much changes to be made with the fundamental reasoning

Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

It's postponed another half a year due to yield...
Infineon is very skeptical about robustness of MOS on SiC as well
Not a peep on possible use in audio gear. We will welcome a low selling price and ready availability of this revolutionary [to switching app] CoolSiC.

I beleive GaN is a similar, albeit lower voltage, senerio??? Where is it? If it's not here, why not? They all promised! No one wants to air their dirty laundry, or give anyone else a clue? But, Marketing seems to run everything today??? They are currently earning their demise of control due to their wishfull thinking/etc and open pockets...
It is possible that these technoligies are ready for audio use??? But they haven't considered that market??? And probably won't? we'll see how bad it gets? maybe they will look to recoupe their losses??? However $50 /device won't get them anywhere...
It's all the almighty buck! (Eu,Yen,Ruble etc) :mad:

Well, like I said, It's the almighty buck! They will see more revenue in classD components than they will in any linear app. There is a certain amount of cutting your own throat in their opinion, I'm sure, selling linear and classD stuff. I don't think so but, it's all return on investment. If they sell their substandard switching parts to us audiophools they recoupe something on the investment. But, we're probably not talking marketing, advertising, application help etc., cause those guy's only know switching customer's! I'm even in a position to be able to help them understand but, they don't hear a word I say about the bis their doing, they aren't goin to listen to some speil about linear audio devices, and they aren't going to pay me a fair wage :apathic:

flg, fortunately, you and others are talking serious science in this thread with Dr. Mazzola about linear rather than switching apps. You've built Pass DIY amps with MOSFETs. Most probably; like other DIYers you rave about their highly acclaimed sonic performance. One may ponder the thought: Do I wanna spend $50 instead of $5 on a transistor to attain a "raver" sonic performance? I already bought four authentic SemiSouth R100A, and attendant PCBs for an diy F6. No regrets at all. They are also collector items.

CoolSiC? 1200V SiC JFET & Direct Drive Technology - Infineon Technologies

It's postponed another half a year due to yield...
Infineon is very skeptical about robustness of MOS on SiC as well

I will attend PCIM-Europe this year (again) and listen (again) to Infineon announce this JFET. How many times now? These devices were developed by a small German company called SiCED that Siemens and Infineon invested in. They've been trying to find a market for these things for 10 years. I bought some when they were made by SiCED, which Infineon then acquired. I'm trying to find the parts lost in my lab somewhere to see if they might be good for audio. I remember they weren't much good for switching due to depletion mode with very negative pinch-off voltage. Infineon is trying to fix that by selling a dedicated gate driver chip and giving it a catchy name like "CoolSiC" to co-market with their "CoolMOS" brand super-junction silicon MOSFETs. For audio, it's all in the saturation characteristics. Depletion mode is like a tube, so many audio folks won't care. I don't think they will be cheap.

Data for the Infineon CoolSiC JFET

Attached are two graphs for the Infineon CoolSiC JFET. The source for this data is the paper entitled "Infineon’s 1200V SiC JFET – The New Way of Efficient and Reliable High Voltages Switching" by Wolfgang Bergner, Fanny Bjoerk, Daniel Domes, and Gerald Deboy (all Infineon technical marketing people). You can find the complete paper by Googling the title above.

The output curves have attractive curvature, but the pinch-off voltage is characteristically less than -10 V and the capacitance is pretty fat. These lateral channel JFETs are pretty big by DIY Audio standards.

Attachments

• CoolSiC_Output_Curves.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 134
  • CoolSiC_CV_Curves.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 120
That's "cool" Mike :D Seems like the ohmic region is larger, and the ridiculous rise in C is lower Vds.
I've got a set-up that can give me curves of SS parts! It's a little tedious point by point, but I can probably get something smooth and accurate enough. Given the time... In the mean time I found out we have high dollar (newer model of 4145 or whatever it was). But, I think I have to learn it a little and It's current limit is a little low( HPIB pgm supply would fix that but). I will try for a basic 25C Vds vs. Ids below the data sheeet graph limits :smash::smash::smash:

Well, I got a little data today between this and that. Pretty dangerous methodology doing it that way but it took me all morning to get close? That's government, top secret, I can't talk about it stuff. Anyway, I gotta walk up to the equipment, make sure all the FuncGen stuff and voltage stuff is right, etc. and do a few manual triggers on the FuncGen, use the cursor on the scope and get some measurements. Write 'em down. Tweak the amplitude and offset of the FuncGen, reset the sweep on the scope and trigger again etc. Had to refine the test set-up a little... Maybe a little more will still be necessary... The graph I produced needs a few more data points but, between 1Vds to 4Vds I got a promising looking curve. Mabe a little like an LU device :D Wasn't actually a curve but I'm gettin there...
I don't wanna be in a frustrated mode/mood or tryin to do 2 things at once(work thinks multi tasking saves money HA HA!) I need focus.
Like I said, excluding weather related problems, I'm good with that anway, I'll get somin done on the weekend if not sooner.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.