SemiSouth boiler room - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 09:30 AM   #51
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

ZM is so productive......wonderful....what the power of SIM can do even to a Court Jester.......
Old 7th February 2013, 09:36 AM   #52
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

well , I resisted for so many years
Old 7th February 2013, 10:22 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisouthfan View Post
F2J
I will be trying the f2J with the SJDP and a little mix of ZV9 thrown in. No spice of course. It doesn't sit well with my stomach.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:30 AM   #54
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I will be trying the f2J with the SJDP and a little mix of ZV9 thrown in. No spice of course. It doesn't sit well with my stomach.
Ha,ha very funny!
Old 7th February 2013, 12:35 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
So what happens to the Semisouth designs, patents, intellectual property etc?
Yet to be determined.
Old 7th February 2013, 04:58 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisouthfan View Post
Yet to be determined.
Dr. Mazzola. I visited your company's website www.impowersystems.com . It is clear, crisp and highly informative. I hope that other DIYers do the same. The service, devices and experience/expertise which you provide are in part attendant to SiC JFETs. A window shows a prominent SiC JFET module [1200V at 600A] next to a larger-sized IGBT power management module of one half the power capability. This SiC JFET module may make the Mother of All Audio Power Amps; and best done by Mr. Pass. Your website implies [speculation on may part] that this SiC JFET technology is currently [or can be] alive and well, and that devices are being made or may be manufactured by a possible authorized toll producer. This is great news. There is hope for obtainium SiC JFETS [and more]; when for several months the audio diy community believed them to be dead and gone.

Best regards
Old 7th February 2013, 06:26 PM   #57
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I suppose some of us audiophools should get specific about what we'ld like to see in the future papers authored by fellow member Mike M, but, it"s a big complicated subject. Putting all this down in clear consise... wait a minute I'm not workin! Speaking of work. What do you know about GaN? their not letin me play with it but, everybody including customers thinks it hopeless after years of marketing bla anyway... like some of the other SiC players I suppose...
Back to the subject at hand...I'd like lower exponectial C increase and at a lower Vds! what's the deal, these things look worse than MOSFETs in that regard??? As long as we're here these things have the C and leakage also
I'd like to see the Vds vs. Ids transfer curves from the data sheet below the Ids of the data sheet (lower than Vgs1.5V for R100 and greater than -2V Vgs for R085), like 1-5A and at least up to 6-8Vds.
I'd like too see a SOA graph, transconductance vs. Ids(@0-5A) graph and real Typ Rthj numbers??? The Tc of the Vgs sounds Negative but excelent from what I've seen, read, heard???
I'm just dumpin whats in my head so I can think up more stuff but, these are all important factors to have in one of our output parts. Since we're not swicthing 100s of Volts with inductors and Cs that stuff dosen't make the datasheet???
I know I missed a bunch of important stuff, maybe someone will pick it up? I've had all kinds of electronic expeirience from Moto OpAmp device guy in the 80's to ASICs. Wafer Processing, Test (Mostly) and Assembly. SMPs server Apps now. But, it don't matter. If your into audio, you aren't learning this stuff in school or work and most of the PhDs I work with, can't even understand what I'm taling about??? and won't bother, and, they think I'm some nut? But I never saw my CTO do anything but take the money they could be paying me? One of these days I think I'll challenge our classD group to a contest of Class A to Our class D. Probably best done after I have another job...

Last edited by flg; 7th February 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:01 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

flg; Your past and rich experience will let you delve in [and enjoy reading the patents of Casady et al [inclusive Dr. Mazzola] on SiC devices. Audio DIYers also need an abundant and affordable supply of SITs and JFETs. I asked myself why is the price of the Tripath TA 2020 [class D chip] less than $5 when it appears [to me] more complicated than a solo SiC SIT or JFET. I hope that I am wrong in this speculation. No doubt, there are reasons to account for this different pricing.

Best regards.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:18 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
Dr. Mazzola. I visited your company's website www.impowersystems.com . It is clear, crisp and highly informative. I hope that other DIYers do the same. The service, devices and experience/expertise which you provide are in part attendant to SiC JFETs. A window shows a prominent SiC JFET module [1200V at 600A] next to a larger-sized IGBT power management module of one half the power capability. This SiC JFET module may make the Mother of All Audio Power Amps; and best done by Mr. Pass. Your website implies [speculation on may part] that this SiC JFET technology is currently [or can be] alive and well, and that devices are being made or may be manufactured by a possible authorized toll producer. This is great news. There is hope for obtainium SiC JFETS [and more]; when for several months the audio diy community believed them to be dead and gone.

Best regards
Thank you Antoinel for visiting the iMPOWER website. Frankly, it needs an update and my partner and I are planning on it in conjunction with a roll out of new products.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:37 PM   #60
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

The major variable regarding price is: your wafer cost, package cost and Volume. Basically, without volume you won't have revenue unless you already have umptine other parts going out the door with a good profit margin. It is a big deal to have a processing line, assembly line, test and all with quality. I think SS went to contractors? Mike? and did not own all the necessary equip to do it themself, but just what I heard/read..

Last edited by flg; 7th February 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!