SemiSouth boiler room - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #151
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, like I said, It's the almighty buck! They will see more revenue in classD components than they will in any linear app. There is a certain amount of cutting your own throat in their opinion, I'm sure, selling linear and classD stuff. I don't think so but, it's all return on investment. If they sell their substandard switching parts to us audiophools they recoupe something on the investment. But, we're probably not talking marketing, advertising, application help etc., cause those guy's only know switching customer's! I'm even in a position to be able to help them understand but, they don't hear a word I say about the bis their doing, they aren't goin to listen to some speil about linear audio devices, and they aren't going to pay me a fair wage
Old 19th February 2013, 07:18 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

flg, fortunately, you and others are talking serious science in this thread with Dr. Mazzola about linear rather than switching apps. You've built Pass DIY amps with MOSFETs. Most probably; like other DIYers you rave about their highly acclaimed sonic performance. One may ponder the thought: Do I wanna spend $50 instead of $5 on a transistor to attain a "raver" sonic performance? I already bought four authentic SemiSouth R100A, and attendant PCBs for an diy F6. No regrets at all. They are also collector items.
Old 19th February 2013, 08:51 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

I have 12 R100s, 4 R085s, and 6 R550s. Maybe tonight I'll try my test set-up and get a Vds vs. Ids curve of an R100. Maybe at least by the weekend...
Maybe I will make a fatal mistake and creat another dead soldier
Old 19th February 2013, 11:26 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
I have 12 R100s, 4 R085s, and 6 R550s. Maybe tonight I'll try my test set-up and get a Vds vs. Ids curve of an R100. Maybe at least by the weekend...
Maybe I will make a fatal mistake and creat another dead soldier
Hopefully such a dead soldier maybe a tiny diamond from its Carbide content.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:21 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

CoolSiC? 1200V SiC JFET & Direct Drive Technology - Infineon Technologies
Quote:
Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

It's postponed another half a year due to yield...
Infineon is very skeptical about robustness of MOS on SiC as well
I will attend PCIM-Europe this year (again) and listen (again) to Infineon announce this JFET. How many times now? These devices were developed by a small German company called SiCED that Siemens and Infineon invested in. They've been trying to find a market for these things for 10 years. I bought some when they were made by SiCED, which Infineon then acquired. I'm trying to find the parts lost in my lab somewhere to see if they might be good for audio. I remember they weren't much good for switching due to depletion mode with very negative pinch-off voltage. Infineon is trying to fix that by selling a dedicated gate driver chip and giving it a catchy name like "CoolSiC" to co-market with their "CoolMOS" brand super-junction silicon MOSFETs. For audio, it's all in the saturation characteristics. Depletion mode is like a tube, so many audio folks won't care. I don't think they will be cheap.
Old 20th February 2013, 03:25 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Default Data for the Infineon CoolSiC JFET

Attached are two graphs for the Infineon CoolSiC JFET. The source for this data is the paper entitled "Infineon’s 1200V SiC JFET – The New Way of Efficient and Reliable High Voltages Switching" by Wolfgang Bergner, Fanny Bjoerk, Daniel Domes, and Gerald Deboy (all Infineon technical marketing people). You can find the complete paper by Googling the title above.

The output curves have attractive curvature, but the pinch-off voltage is characteristically less than -10 V and the capacitance is pretty fat. These lateral channel JFETs are pretty big by DIY Audio standards.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CoolSiC_Output_Curves.pdf (28.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf CoolSiC_CV_Curves.pdf (28.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 20th February 2013, 04:31 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

That's "cool" Mike Seems like the ohmic region is larger, and the ridiculous rise in C is lower Vds.
I've got a set-up that can give me curves of SS parts! It's a little tedious point by point, but I can probably get something smooth and accurate enough. Given the time... In the mean time I found out we have high dollar (newer model of 4145 or whatever it was). But, I think I have to learn it a little and It's current limit is a little low( HPIB pgm supply would fix that but). I will try for a basic 25C Vds vs. Ids below the data sheeet graph limits
Old 21st February 2013, 12:15 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Well, I got a little data today between this and that. Pretty dangerous methodology doing it that way but it took me all morning to get close? That's government, top secret, I can't talk about it stuff. Anyway, I gotta walk up to the equipment, make sure all the FuncGen stuff and voltage stuff is right, etc. and do a few manual triggers on the FuncGen, use the cursor on the scope and get some measurements. Write 'em down. Tweak the amplitude and offset of the FuncGen, reset the sweep on the scope and trigger again etc. Had to refine the test set-up a little... Maybe a little more will still be necessary... The graph I produced needs a few more data points but, between 1Vds to 4Vds I got a promising looking curve. Mabe a little like an LU device Wasn't actually a curve but I'm gettin there...
I don't wanna be in a frustrated mode/mood or tryin to do 2 things at once(work thinks multi tasking saves money HA HA!) I need focus.
Like I said, excluding weather related problems, I'm good with that anway, I'll get somin done on the weekend if not sooner.

Last edited by flg; 21st February 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:25 AM   #159
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

just take your time , and be sure to not un-bottle that gray smoke

leave it inside , for joy and fun

Old 21st February 2013, 12:29 AM   #160
diyAudio Member

Unless you plan to use it in F3 like circuit, what is helpful in looking at such a low Vds area. Isn't capacitance non-linearity nasty in this area?

Hide this!Advertise here!